Google+'s Female Membership is Growing Fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dandalf

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Confirming that one of my four g+ friends are female.

Has anyone ever found it interesting that if a place is overwhelmingly male, it is less appealing to men and women, where as if it's overwhelmingly female it's the opposite to both?

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
I avoid Google+ and will continue to do so. That company doesn't quite have a stellar track record whenit comes to privacy and such.

If I also avoid Facebook, am I going to be one of those rogue members of society that society eventually comes to believe isn't actually a member of it? It's gonna be a weird world when they start thinking "not on Facebook or Google+? Why's he hiding? Get him!"

pinkeyes

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
I just joined recently, but 1 out of 11 is female. It's funny because my friends were just talking the other day about the lake of females.

tomrippity02

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]ethanolson[/nom]I avoid Google+ and will continue to do so. That company doesn't quite have a stellar track record whenit comes to privacy and such.If I also avoid Facebook, am I going to be one of those rogue members of society that society eventually comes to believe isn't actually a member of it? It's gonna be a weird world when they start thinking "not on Facebook or Google+? Why's he hiding? Get him!"[/citation]

It seems like any company that holds users private information, particularly companies that are internet based, have a few blips here and there, but Google seems to handle those blips better than other companies like facebook handle them. In generaly, I respect Google more as a company and thats why I throw my social allegiance behind them as opposed to FB.

dragonic2020

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
I'm going to assume that the majority of geeks are male. And most early adopters of software and technology are geeks. Thus, most Google Plus users are male.

If Google keeps Plus in private beta for too long, the hype will die quickly. And soon, Plus will suffer the same fate as the other Google social networking attempt, Orkut.

Come on Google! Take the wraps off Plus!

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
What a marketing ploy. Make you get an invite to join. This was done in hopes of getting a media and people frenzy going.
g+, Facebook, twitter, bah, a bunch a wasted time and crap if you ask me.

dragonic2020

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
To add on to my previous comment:
How is Google going to test the full capabilities of Plus if NO ONE ELSE IS ON? It is supposed to be a social networking site after all, is it not? What is the purpose of posting a comment if only a handful of friends can see it?

Remember Google Buzz? No one wanted to join it because no one could figure out what it was. And Buzz was public almost immediately. Isn't Google's main ideology to release early, iterate later?

Gamer-girl

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
Until there information about Google+ in more mainstream media, female sign up will be slow. The first time i heard about it is here on toms, none of my female friends read sites like this.

Another thing is girls will likely choose the social network that most of their friends are on. Then there are other things like groups, game achievements etc that are on facebook that they would not want to lose by switching to another network.

tomrippity02

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]dragonic2020[/nom]I'm going to assume that the majority of geeks are male. And most early adopters of software and technology are geeks. Thus, most Google Plus users are male.If Google keeps Plus in private beta for too long, the hype will die quickly. And soon, Plus will suffer the same fate as the other Google social networking attempt, Orkut.Come on Google! Take the wraps off Plus![/citation]

Yeah, its not like this model hasn't worked before.... facebook, gmail, etc.

A bigger killer of growth is software failure. If a ton of people join and the system falters then they will likely quit coming back.

tomrippity02

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]gogogadgetliver[/nom]haha Google+ is a sausage fest.... Just another reason to call it Facebook minus.[/citation]

If 1 out of every 3 people on Google are female I'd say they are doing quite well. Given that male nerds are probably more early adopters. Plus, facebook has how many fake female profiles to promote whatever agenda?

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
Stop making google MONEY!!!!!!!!! The only good reason to make a huge company like google money is for development and as it stands , There is ZERO benefit to consumer if google makes all these billions a year and now its making more.

They are not like microsoft that actualy come out with products that inovate .

Status
Not open for further replies.