Google Still Hammering Out Music Streaming Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
subscribe to (i.e. pay over and over and never own) music that monitors what you listens to and adds that to the massive database with your name on it...

OR
*own DRM free music
*pay no monthly fee
*store it locally
*listen to it with software that doesn't spy on you

hmm... really... tough... choice... there...

hiruu

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
[citation][nom]IAmVortigaunt[/nom]Meanwhile, Zune/XBOX Music already has unlimited streaming, as well as pay per song going.[/citation]

Indeed...but the tech media hates to recognize Microsoft for anything, other than bad news.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]hiruu[/nom]Indeed...but the tech media hates to recognize Microsoft for anything, other than bad news.[/citation]Probably more to do with the demise of the Zune player and a perception that the Zune brand is dead. Clients for the Xbox Music service are not available on iOS and Android yet (but they're supposedly being developed). Mobile is where the action is and Win8 hasn't changed that. Windows Phone has insignificant market share. End result - Zune/Xbox Music gets ignored just like the dozen or so other services that have been around for years that didn't get enough market share: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_online_music_databases#On-demand_streaming_music_services

IAmVortigaunt

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Probably more to do with the demise of the Zune player and a perception that the Zune brand is dead. Clients for the Xbox Music service are not available on iOS and Android yet (but they're supposedly being developed). Mobile is where the action is and Win8 hasn't changed that. Windows Phone has insignificant market share. End result - Zune/Xbox Music gets ignored just like the dozen or so other services that have been around for years that didn't get enough market share: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_ [...] c_services[/citation]

Sure...but at least they are working on apps for those platforms. Apple certainly won't make their stuff work well with other platforms, and I wouldn't bet on Google, either.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]IAmVortigaunt[/nom]Sure...but at least they are working on apps for those platforms. Apple certainly won't make their stuff work well with other platforms, and I wouldn't bet on Google, either.[/citation]Could still happen. Wozniak wishes Apple would produce an iTunes client for Android: http://www.forbes.com/sites/adriankingsleyhughes/2012/10/05/wosniak-so-why-dont-we-port-itunes-to-android/

bertrandsbox

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
[citation][nom]wifiwolf[/nom]If they make it like itunes for windows, I'll keep my distance.[/citation]

Agreed. I've never used a poorer piece of software.
My new laptop handles everything I throw at it with ease, but as soon as I load iTunes up, everything grinds to a halt. Moving throughout it is stuttery and slow, and I can't even maximise the window without everything going haywire and UI elements being half hidden off-screen.

I really wish Microsoft would have stuck with Zune. It was such a beautiful application, and the direction I'd love to see windows programs move in general.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to move on to something like MusicBee/Winamp/Foobar2000.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
negotiations with record labels fell flat
I wonder why?
Option 1 - Their payment terms were grossly high
Option 2 - DRM is rubbish, lables have no confidence in Google's copy protection
Considering the terms Apple has on the labels, cost issues are unlikely, my vote is with option 2

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Probably more to do with the demise of the Zune player and a perception that the Zune brand is dead. Clients for the Xbox Music service are not available on iOS and Android yet (but they're supposedly being developed). Mobile is where the action is and Win8 hasn't changed that. Windows Phone has insignificant market share. End result - Zune/Xbox Music gets ignored just like the dozen or so other services that have been around for years that didn't get enough market share: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_ [...] c_services[/citation]
This ^^^ does not make sense
If Google has a much higher market share than Zune/Xbox music, then the labels would be fighting over each other to sign with Google, OK we all agree that the Microsoft service isn't huge, but at least they have a service and labels have signed to it

benben_41

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
[citation][nom]hiruu[/nom]Indeed...but the tech media hates to recognize Microsoft for anything, other than bad news.[/citation]

I'm also sick of the monopoly that google has on the internet. I'm gonna continue to use the site that I think is best for streaming! If you want to try it, you can do so too on music.torchbrowser.com.
Thanks for this article.

Status
Not open for further replies.