Google: Street View Controversial Because It's Successful

Status
Not open for further replies.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
People really must be board to complain about this. With your face blurred all you can recognize is a headless body with clothing.

If I found myself on street-view I'd be excited, not upset.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
It is irrelevant whether it is successful or not. They might as well say Google: Street View Complaints Due to Brand of Tires

ewood

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]It is irrelevant whether it is successful or not. They might as well say Google: Street View Complaints Due to Brand of Tires[/citation]

what?

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
i love street view, use it all the time to find where im going, i hope that they expand coverage.

im not sure what with the english, they have cameras on them all the time, the place is like a reality tv show, at least the google ones are helpful getting around.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I have a question about this....

""One woman (cited in PI’s report) moved house to escape her violent partner but was easily recognisable standing outside her new home on Google Street View.""

The violent partner she was escaping from logged into Google and searched every street looking for her? AND got lucky? Seriously... WTF?

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Someone will always find things that are wrong with services. Some are real concerns, some are not.

These people want privacy eh? Then don't go on the internet - IP addresses can find you! Please don't walk on the streets - others can see you! Don't even think about telephones - what if they have caller ID?

At some point, privacy ends. Looking at a street is simply same as walking down one. I don't see anyone complaining about the person across the street being able to see their face.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
License plates and faces? Isn't everything on Streetview blurred? Seriously, everything interesting is either a giant blur or a smear or an 'artifact' mucking up the image. I take better pictures with my cellphone, and that's not illegal (even if i posted them online.)

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Someone will always find things that are wrong with services. Some are real concerns, some are not.These people want privacy eh? Then don't go on the internet - IP addresses can find you! Please don't walk on the streets - others can see you! Don't even think about telephones - what if they have caller ID?At some point, privacy ends. Looking at a street is simply same as walking down one. I don't see anyone complaining about the person across the street being able to see their face.[/citation]
The Us government also knows who you have called and they keep recordings of all calls for a week.. (Fact)

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]the_one111[/nom]The Us government also knows who you have called and they keep recordings of all calls for a week.. (Fact)[/citation]
No doubt, It's just wrong!

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
sry for double post...

I mean keeping the calls for a week is just wrong, not Google. I love the street maps; the only flaw is it will be impossible to keep it updated.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]I have a question about this....""One woman (cited in PI’s report) moved house to escape her violent partner but was easily recognisable standing outside her new home on Google Street View.""The violent partner she was escaping from logged into Google and searched every street looking for her? AND got lucky? Seriously... WTF?[/citation]

I think it was a case of her searching for her own house, seeing herself outside and then complaining that if he tried to find her, he might be able to.

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
[citation][nom]techtre2003[/nom]So, just out of curiosity, how would you all feel if this was the government doing this rather than Google?[/citation]
They aren't?

Spy satellites, hello...

There is NO WAY that I will believe the government hasn't had stuff like that for years..

theJ

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
[citation][nom]Raid3r[/nom]It is still an UNNECESSARY technology....period. Which will continue until forgotten.[/citation]

What? I use it all the time to find where i'm going around my city. Street names are fine and everything, but i'm a visual person and need to see landmarks so i don't miss a turn.

Besides the search engine itself, Street View is the most useful thing Google has put out.

Status
Not open for further replies.