Google Sued For Exposing Woman's Underwear

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rbarone69

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
I'm also filing suit because I too have irrational fears of photos (generally the ones with street signs in them) and Google is to blame.

rbarone69

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]shanky887614[/nom]
becasue it never really gets that cold, thats why noob
[/citation]

[citation][nom]shanky887614[/nom]
(i admit i made that bit up about it never really getting cold)but seriously if they were in such a rush to dry there clothes they would have a tumbledryer for most thingsand if they keep runnig out of clothes/underware just buy more[/citation]

HA! 2 minutes later after you spoke first then used Google to see the climate in Japan. Good one (but very obviou.... ofious)

Anyways, you learned something, so I guess everything is ok.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I could understand if this picture intruded on her privacy that it should be removed
a lawsuit over something that was meant no personal harm however is still out of the question.
However even that is not the case she clearly puts the clothing out in public view in the first place.
I understand that this may not be a choice for this woman but Google was nice enough to remove the photo.

I'm not familiar with Japan's laws but hopefully they are logical and Google doesn't actually lose in court.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
where she lives is close to as far south as you can be without living in okinawa.

without googleing the exact climate of where she lives, i can say that year round it stays comfortable outside.

granted, i would take her to court, make the lawsuit fail, so there is no president (sp) set for future cases, and than give her a cash bail out in the equivalent that she lost in presuming the lawsuit and the misc crap she delt with because of this. and id only go that far because thats all she is asking for. if she was suing for the 100,000 range id tell her to go... well... you know, herself

and to everyone who complains about suing in america.
you know why companies treat you with some ammount of respect and are kept in check? because the possibility of being sued.

here ill give you an example that probably happened at some point in time.

its against the law for a company to sell you a product and force you to pay for a service that you don't want with it. like recently, a best buy around my area did this "speed up" crap to all their laptops, they were advertised at 799, but they were charging 849 and didn't have any non sped up laptops. within 15 minutes of talking they let the guy buy it for 799 go out because they cant force him to buy that service, and without any non sped up laptops, if the bbb got involved it would be allot more.

now imagine that at some point companies were addign services to everything they sold, and force the coustomers to buy it. the thing cost 10$ markup for retail it was 15$ and after services were applied, 30$ now a compediter may make it cost 29 for the same thing. and a guy sued and won.

and finally you have to understand how sueing works.
granted allot of the time those high HIGH numbers, are are there not because they want that much, but if you went in as asked for teh 100,000$ they would try to settle for FAR lower than that, its what insurance companies did a few years back, it was in the news. the woman only wanted the money to cover the injuries and cost to fix the car, the insurance told her to f off, she sued for 10 mill, to get them to try to settle for what she needed. when it went into settlement negotiations they offered her 20000 or less, when she needed the 100000. she knew her case would win, and never expected the 10 mill, but when all was said and done she was rewarded 1.7 mill. had she sued for 100000 even if she won she would have had significantly less.

decrypted

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Did anyone find it amusing that she states she is afraid of being a target of a sex crime, but yet she wears a see-thru brazier and thigh-high stocking with lace?

wawa sxm

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
[citation][nom]shanky887614[/nom]yes, and you are ofiously doing it wrong,put it up in the morning/afternoon and come back later that day or next daybesides its usually a much hotter climate in japan so it would dry quickerwhy do you think the traditional japanise houses have paper windows?becasue it never really gets that cold, thats why noob[/citation]

Yeah it was pretty hot during the winter olympic games

spdlmt

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
[citation][nom]shanky887614[/nom](i admit i made that bit up about it never really getting cold)but seriously if they were in such a rush to dry there clothes they would have a tumbledryer for most thingsand if they keep runnig out of clothes/underware just buy more[/citation]

Most homes in Asia do not use tumble dryers. Electricity is expensive and the apartments are tiny.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
This has to get thrown out. If she didn't want people to see her underwear, she wouldn't hang them OUTSIDE in public view. This is no different than a random person walking by and taking a photo.

If you don't want it seen, don't put it outside.

sactownbwoy

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
In Japan it is normal to hang your clothes outside. I could walk out onto my balcony and see everyones laundry from the apartments around me. And yes electricity is stupid expensive.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
You know, if she was really afraid of something, she could have clicked that button on the street view that says to report something inappropriate with the picture. Hell, she could have sent Google an email, a letter, or called them (Skype!). I seriously doubt Google is heartless as to not at least try to edit her washing out from the picture or remove the picture till later.

Granted a woman with only her washing up on a line might be afraid that perverts would be looking for single women living alone, using street view, but its the same if someone walks by on the street every day she has her washing up.

The low figure might be a sign of the difference between civil lawsuits in Japan and the US, I don't know. but in the US this is usually considered a "nuisance" lawsuit. They don't intend to go to court because the fees to even do anything are more than the lawsuit is. Its cheaper for Google to just pay it than to even have a lawyer even look at it.

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
C'MON !! what is going on with this ppl ?!. everytime causes of suing are even more sensless... and I think she should be sued by google because of her brainless, the car of google wasn't the only one which or who passed by and saw that shitty clothes.. then she will have to sue everyone who passed by and see her clothes ! so stupid !

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
They could settle without setting a legal precedent (as is often done). Of course others might still try to do something similar, though I doubt many would quit their job and move just to get $7k.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
you have got to be joking, Google should not pay her one cent, wait someone saw my shoes while i was walking, time to sue???? if you don't want people to see your big arse underwear then get a dryer.

Bluescreendeath

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
[citation][nom]shanky887614[/nom]yes, and you are ofiously doing it wrong,put it up in the morning/afternoon and come back later that day or next daybesides its usually a much hotter climate in japan so it would dry quickerwhy do you think the traditional japanise houses have paper windows?becasue it never really gets that cold, thats why noob[/citation]

Actually it does get cold in Japan. It snows in some regions too and they still have paper windows. They use paper windows because they copied the architecture of the ancient Chinese who used paper windows for their buildings...

Geef

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
The chick must have known something like sueing Google had a very large chance to get up on sites like this and so its now not just people who happened to see her picture on google's website, its also sites and links all over the world now have that picture.
Oh also just for that woman: THEY have watched you... THEY have seen your undies... of course THEY probably live on the other side of the planet and 30 seconds after reading the post and laughing forgot about it.

jaysbob

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
this is very serious, roving tentacle monsters use Google street view to find their next victims. I've watched a lot of anime and from what I understand of Japanese culture this is a huge problem for young ladies.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
She should perhaps thought "If google car can see my underwear - so can ANYONE else who drives or walks by" - which is true and why she'll lose. Her goods were on public view.

In Japan, hanging clothes outside (including Women's undergarments) is typical. Its free drying of clothes.

About Anime: In Tokyo, adult Anime and comics are illegal... huh?

G

I think the real point missing is that the women hung her cloths out to dry in a public area where anyone can see it! What's the difference if I walk by her place and see it or if there is a picture of it! This is just completely dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.