Google to Delete Private Google Profiles July 31

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I guess I dont have a problem with it. I mean, every ex-girlfriend that ever wanted to find me and grief me already did so on myspace.. so Im good... I think /evilgrin

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]Phonebooks. They are publicly available.All your complaining is the same bullshit that comes from the people who dislike Google Streetview.[/citation]
first it's this what;s next ?

sure it sounds paranoid but seriously the road to hell is paved with good intentions and a little tit for tat.

consider it a statue of tyrany , sure chippigna little off teh corner of teh block is jsut a little but eventually you keep chipign away adn you get a whole statue instead of a block of stone.

ok lame i know i'm full of paranoid metaphores. But if you look at teh facts through otu history , ther are just as many "litle at a time" dictatorships as there are "revolution over night" dictatorships. adn sure google is a buisness not the goverment but RIGHT NOW our goverment pander's to big buisness (both the dems and reps do it not just the reps). so the more willign peopela reto turn the cheelk for buisness teh more willing the goverment will be to do the same and before you know it , america will be ran soley by large corperations not the poeple. I boycott walmart over this same sort of s--h (that being the dictating policies of moral ethical standands by controling what we are served or sold) and yes walmart has done this , by refusing to sell this or that magazine and it's policy of selling censored music some of which is SOLEY censored because of political content (such as mega deth to name an example)

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Still, Google feels the purpose of Google+ is to enable you to connect with others, and you can't do that if they can't find you.

What makes Google assume I even wan to? I'm already giving this mammoth corporation traffic (and thus revenue), by using their service..I should have the final say.

As demonhorde665 says, to some this might seem like a small inconvenience..a very small chip against a tiny rock. But consider this. Imagine countless other 'small' chips..all timed discreetly to create the illusion the rock is still sound. Now all those pieces that have been chipped away can be bought, sold, and given away under the guise of 'security', or the deceptive 'Patriot Act' yada yada. Microsot themself admit they are powerless to intervene.

This is your portfolio. This is your digital footprint. It goes way beyond revealing your real name and sex (itself a ridiculously crass violation of privacy), and into something far more sinister. The corporations will use and sell this information because information is power, and bit by bit this is their means of becoming even more powerful than they already are. These corporations are in bed with the offshore bankers, the capitalists and the globalists who now own our debt, and giving away our privacy like this would not be feasible unless it was done any other way.

I don't want any Tom, Dick or Harry having access to this kind of information. I don't want other people, especially the young and the nieve, as to put such faith in this technology as to forfeit their privacy, and those of future generations just because someone can sell it. This is how we get the likes of Obama in office..people are sold on an idea by the same people who talk about freedoms, and liberties, but when it's too late people realize these are the same people taking them away from us. This might seem paranoid and alarmist but I stand by what I say 100%. Google demonises hackers who allegedly breach privacy and give away private details like hot-cakes..then seemingly goes about doing the exact same thing - and on a much, much larger scale.

Scepticism of governments and corporations is healthy. Giving away your personal information to an unknown corporate entity is suicide. I think one should be very concerned about this.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
and giving away our privacy like this would not be feasible unless it was done any other way.

addendum: and giving away our privacy like this would not be feasible if it were done any other way.

flybri

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
[citation][nom]nisdec[/nom]Ahh "just" my full name. Got it. Bye Google profile.[/citation]

You don't need your full name on there. I just have my first name and the first initial of my last name.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Google is all about marketing and nothing more. Sure, they may provide convenience features to you, the user, but in exchange for those features, you basically agree to let them provide your personal details to everyone willing to pay them for it. If they let you keep your profile private, then you are not paying for the service, and thus, they are losing money on your account. Therefore, their solution is to not allow you to keep your profile private while they tell you it is for your own good. Instead of being honest with their clients and telling them that they are going to market you to everyone willing to pay them for your data, the cloak this in terms of "well, google is about connecting with people, so we won't allow private profiles since no one can find you."

Honestly, maybe some people will think I am paranoid, but I simply do not understand why virtually every comment I have read does not see through their load of BS.

kaelum

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
It's come to my attention that most people posting in this do not understand g+. Pictures and stuff like that have the ability to be shown publicly OR just to friends. Meaning that you can set your profile to its minimum name and gender to be shown to the public, but still have tons of information that only friends can see

kaelum

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
It's come to my attention that most people posting in this do not understand g+. Pictures and stuff like that have the ability to be shown publicly OR just to friends. Meaning that you can set your profile to its minimum name and gender to be shown to the public, but still have tons of information that only friends can see

Status
Not open for further replies.