Google Took Illegal Street View Pictures of SAS HQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

RooD

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2004
Awesome... I can see where having everything show can be a problem... I hope they drive through area 51 that way I can see if the old arcade is what is really goin down there.

In all seriousness though I personally love Street View on my Phone for navigating.

yzfr1guy

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
How come 'The Man' can spy on us with no privacy concerns, but they have such a problem when the tables turn?

BTW, The street view pics capturing that kid crashing his bike is Epic! :)

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]YZFR1Guy[/nom]How come 'The Man' can spy on us with no privacy concerns, but they have such a problem when the tables turn?BTW, The street view pics capturing that kid crashing his bike is Epic![/citation]

The government put up signs, in RED, stating that pictures were a no-no. Do you have a sign? I do, I hang it around my neck. No one is photographing me without expressed, written consent.

G

Google Maps are a real Hoot!

They can't even get a lot of addresses correct and when you try to make any corrections for say your home town, they just ignore your attempts, even when you're a registered Google Maps user.

For my town, they've got businesses as being located everywhere but where they are actually located Such as a mile away, in the middle of a river and so on. They just ignore any attempts to apprise them of their mistakes.

Plus the Google Maps Satellite images are at least 4 years or more out of date.

Chetou

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
"However, with military sources talking about terrorists using the maps to plot an attack, it seems Google has changed its tune."

Yes, because there is no other way to plot it...like going there and having a look yourself.

TomD_1

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
"after it emerged that the photos showed the location of the SAS base in Credenhill, Herefordshire, UK."

Thats what I don't understand. People know where these places are anyway. I'm sure if you had planned an elaborate terrorist attack, you'd already know where you were attacking, regardless of if the place is on street view or not.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
It sounds to me like they need to extend their perimeter to the point where people on PUBLIC ROADS can not see anything sensitive enough that your not allowed to take pictures of it. Let me guess, people driving by are also forced to stop and have their memory wiped too?

godwhomismike

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Yawn!!! The only thing I don't understand is why people in the UK are so up in arms about Google Street View. You could find everything here in the US on Street View, and there are no issues.

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
Why can't they just render 3D images instead of acutally taking photographs? It's really annoying sometiems their "bad people have something to hide" motto. I'm not a bad person IMO, but I don't like being photographed without my consent. With all the money involed in taking the pics, it's much much cheaper to render the street (wich can be improved with customer support) and get a better result in the way.

On this particular case, it's kinda over-reacted, true. But they have the "don't take pictures" sign for a reason: People around the facilities! Terrorists can do harm to people around the facilities to get something, no doubt in that.

Cheers!

chunkymonster

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
Whatever happened to learning how to read a paper map?

The excitement and adventure of taking a road trip has all but been completely lost as a result of Google maps and GPS's.

seezur

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
"The secret base of the Special Air Service has never before appeared on maps for security reasons."

So it was a secret base that was not marked on any map. So how was google supposed to know what they were taking pictures of?? The artical does not say that this particular base was marked with signs warning against photography and that would kind of defeat the purpose of it being a "secret base."

Status
Not open for further replies.