Google Voice: Port Your Number & Keep Old One

Status
Not open for further replies.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
[citation][nom]WR2[/nom]Like the monthly charge to NOT have a number listed in the white pages.[/citation]

I don't know who your phone service provider is but most, if not all, phone service providers have option to have your number officially listed as an option for free...

if that particular provider is making you pay NOT to have number listed, you need to go with another provider....even VOIP....

bit_user

Distinguished
Herald
Jan 20, 2010
I dunno. Your google voice account is linked to your regular google account. Do you really want them to be able to track who you call and when? How much info does google need to collect about you before it becomes too much?

Da_Man

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
yeah it sometime scare me, with all of things involved google,
gmail, picasa, google search engine, google maps, android and now google voice, all of them all the best featured that's why most people use them, of course they have privacy policy, but still, government have power to access the information.

[citation][nom]bit_user[/nom]I dunno. Your google voice account is linked to your regular google account. Do you really want them to be able to track who you call and when? How much info does google need to collect about you before it becomes too much?[/citation]

bit_user

Distinguished
Herald
Jan 20, 2010
[citation][nom]da_man[/nom]of course they have privacy policy, but still, government have power to access the information.[/citation]
Not just governments, but also hackers and dishonest employees.

Another thing... privacy policies can change however and whenever they like. Even if I'm satisfied with their current policy, they've still got my info whether I like tomorrow's policy or not. The same goes for laws, but we theoretically have some control over those.

We need better regulations & privacy laws. What will it take for the public to see that?

DM0407

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
I dunno. Your google voice account is linked to your regular google account. Do you really want them to be able to track who you call and when? How much info does google need to collect about you before it becomes too much?

So the major phone carriers don't keep track of your call information? Or are they that much more secure and honest when compared to Google?

bit_user

Distinguished
Herald
Jan 20, 2010
[citation][nom]DM0407[/nom]So the major phone carriers don't keep track of your call information? Or are they that much more secure and honest when compared to Google?[/citation]
No, the issue is that the majority of phone carriers don't also have my web search history, my gmail history, my Android app data, my youtube watching & commenting history, all linked to my user account. And the same for most of the people I interact with.

Again, how much is too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.