Google Will Gladly Help Fight Piracy... for a Fee

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
[citation][nom]TheWhiteRose000[/nom]I'm happy I'm not the only person that noticed that.XD[/citation]
[citation][nom]duk3[/nom]Google manager James Bond[/citation]

You didn't - the manager's name is James Pond.

joe gamer

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
This is win win for pirates, RIAA/mpaa/bitter untalented directors has to pay money and the simple use of a smaller search engine bypasses the whole expensive system lol. Textbook anti-piracy thinking :D

joe gamer

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
"Ellen Seidler--who lost money on her film because it was distributed illegally online"

This is opinion not fact, please keep BS statements like this with no basis in fact or reality out of Tom's articles, I'd like to think Tom's has at least some journalistic integrity. Unless I'm wrong and you have evidence to back up that statement? No? Didn't think so.

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
There's a catch though: If Google cooperates with them, Google will loose the wide public support it had 'till now, when it was the next big thing versus Microsoft. Google is a bit boxed with its street view scandal, I hope it won't start another fight with its loyal customers (hint: Everybody pirates something)..

I don't think Google will lose wide public support. I am fine with them charging to remove links. Lol you really think people will stop using Google because they might search for and remove links?! I wasn't aware all of Google's business was based on people googling for pirated material! Gimme a break...no one will care. I doubt it will affect them at all. The whole street view fiasco and the shady WIFI capturing have not really hurt them either so what makes you think this will?

fa_q2

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
All right, now you asked for it getting me started on piracy issues. This is all bull but Google has full rights to charge for a service they are providing to companies. It is laughable that a company would complain about piracy in the same breath that they are demanding to ‘steal’ goggles time and resources. This is further made into a joke because it has been shown that piracy may actually do the OPPOSITE and are actually causing an INCREASE of sales. In the past several years I have not purchased a SINGLE piece of software that I had not already pirated in some fashion. The basic fact of the matter is I am unwilling to shell out cash for the crap that is produced today but after pirating a piece of software that I truly enjoy I am more than willing to support the production and there is always the usability and online content that a legal copy is far superior than the pirated one. The industry needs to find a way to integrate and use this new venture. Instead, they are in abject fear because they are now accountable for the quality of the product again. No more can they do what they have in past and make large amounts of cash producing crap. I hope that the MPAA and the RIAA are wiped out of existence and replaced by a new venue.

It really is telling because the MPAA and RIAA steal from the people that actually produce the product and they are worried because they are getting some of their own medicine.

The MPAA and RIAA should be halted in their spamming of lawsuits and threats. Their actions should be illegal and, quite frankly, because of their actions I WILL NEVER PURCHASE MEDIA OF ANY KIND that is affiliated with those two institutions. If a piece of media is connected to these two agencies in any way I would pirate it LONG before I would purchase it or (more likely) go without entirely. I am tired of the monopolies these entities have and the power they wield over congress with the inane laws that are being passed. You are no longer a customer but being moved to a servant that MUST get their product from them and MUST follow their rules in order to obtain any form of digital entertainment.

Ohh boy….

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Haha this is a great idea for Google because its per 1000 hits. So tell me people, how hard is it to do an organized mass search on various "billable" items to the RIAA and generate a few million hits per item. It would allow the net to attack a companies bottom line by generating large bills, mwahahaha.

G

Actually, I don't believe she was referring to "torrents" more like the streaming and cyberlocker download links, etc. where Google makes it's money (AdSense ads). Torrents are dead anyway. There are many easier options now.

Ashley Stephens

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
Google should start with Youtube. They are the biggest offenders on the net. There literally are idiots on there that have ripped off copyrighted content, put their user name on it, then file complaints against other users for .......copyright violations. YouTube then flags the innocent parties account with a copyright flag.

Status
Not open for further replies.