Google's 10 Gigabit Internet vs. The World

Status
Not open for further replies.

austenwhd

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
In India, a 3mpbs Unlimited (Unlimited according to my ISP is 25Gb at reduced speed of 144kpbs plus the 15GB allotted download limit at said speed) plan that gives an average speed download speed of 150 kbps cost me $26 a month. Considering, the fact that i spend about $1.53 per GB of download, i call that a serious ripoff. I must sue somebody...

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
It's great that Google is continuing to push the limits of ISP bandwidth, but I wish they would also put an equal effort into broadening the availability of their existing Gb fiber service. It's been limited to 3 cities since it was first announced.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Kudos to Google for pushing the status quo, but I'd rather they rolled out 1gbps to a large number of people than 10gbps to a small number. How about get 1gbps into all of the 1 million+ cities in the US? That would be appreciated I'm sure.*Note: I don't live in the US.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I second your statement dragonsqrrl and gm0n3y. That was the point of my vague sarcastic comment, that nobody seemed to get. Google fiber was announced in 2011, meaning it was in development for some time before that. Here it is 2014 and as you said its now in just three dang cities. Woop de do Google. Why even bother talking about 10GB internet? This is one of those "Hey the future is knocking at the door and it will be game changing when it gets here." But we wait and ten years past and were stuck with the same outdated technology and infrastructure from ten plus years ago and at higher prices to boot. Call me when I can sign up for it at respectable prices Google. BTW, peak speed data is pointless, the US is ranked 32nd in average downstream speeds.

Immaculate

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
All you guys complaining about it not being in every city is just ridiculous. It is brand new practically. Kansas City was the first city, I just got this fiber service probably 2 1/2 months ago. Its been in planning here what seems like 2 years or more. In each city not everyone wants the fiber. They have what they call "fiberhoods" in each fiberhood enough people have to actually sign up for their neighborhood to be hooked up to the fiber network. If the minimum isnt met then they move onto the next fiberhood and then hook your neighborhood up after they got all the ones that met their minimums. They give each neighborhood quite a few months to sign up so they won't get skipped.

Immaculate

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
All you guys complaining about it not being in every city is just ridiculous. It is brand new practically. Kansas City was the first city, I just got this fiber service probably 2 1/2 months ago. Its been in planning here what seems like 2 years or more. In each city not everyone wants the fiber. They have what they call "fiberhoods" in each fiberhood enough people have to actually sign up for their neighborhood to be hooked up to the fiber network. If the minimum isnt met then they move onto the next fiberhood and then hook your neighborhood up after they got all the ones that met their minimums. They give each neighborhood quite a few months to sign up so they won't get skipped.

G

Come to Australia where you apy $84 a month for 300kbps down... then get rolled by your goverments total stupidity when rolling out a fibre to the premises network.

pazuso

Distinguished
May 17, 2008
I'd much rather see everyone having super stable, low-ping 10Mbps up/down un-capped monthly bandwidth. Games will be more enjoyable, torrents more predictable, streaming media more available.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
I second your statement dragonsqrrl and gm0n3y. That was the point of my vague sarcastic comment, that nobody seemed to get. Google fiber was announced in 2011, meaning it was in development for some time before that. Here it is 2014 and as you said its now in just three dang cities. Woop de do Google. Why even bother talking about 10GB internet? This is one of those "Hey the future is knocking at the door and it will be game changing when it gets here." But we wait and ten years past and were stuck with the same outdated technology and infrastructure from ten plus years ago and at higher prices to boot. Call me when I can sign up for it at respectable prices Google. BTW, peak speed data is pointless, the US is ranked 32nd in average downstream speeds.
I am sure local ISPs are fighting Google at every step making it very difficult for them to expand past where they are currently. With that I see no reason why Google shouldn't work on increasing speed while at the same time trying to fight to get into the game in other cities. Remember local ISPs more or less have a monopoly (a legal one) and don't want to give up that control to someone who is giving more for less, they will fight it.

Status
Not open for further replies.