Google's Ice Cream May Arrive in October

Status
Not open for further replies.

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]what's with this? i thought honeycomb was version 3.0[/citation]

You find that in tablets not the cellphones. Anyway, I just hope mobile companies push this update to android phones promptly.. not wait forever...

Chemical

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2004
That's great that they want to push 2.4, however, the LG Optimus Black doesn't even have support for Gingerbread. I wonder if they will skip 2.3 and have support for 2.4.

G

3.0 is for Tablets only.. I thing they use 2.4 because the latest version for Smartphones is 2.3.

G

Samsung, are you listening. Release Ice Cream Sandwich across the board!

G

I don't think Ice Cream Sandwich is 2.4. It should be a version higher than 3.2.
Maybe it's version 4.

pclee

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
I wish they would name it after more healthy stuff like M$ does with Mango. I would much rather have a mango than an ice cream sandwich. But I would rather keep my Android than buy another phone. Why can't Google switch to more healthy titles like cucumber or cherry?

G

Notice it's in C,D,E,F,G,H,I

Android code name start off with 1.5-Cupcake 1.6-Donut 2.1-Eclair 2.2 Froyo 2.3-Gingerbread 3.X-Honeycomb and then Ice Cream Sandwich. The next version after Ice Cream Sandwich should begin with a "J". Jelly Beans anyone?

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]pclee[/nom]I wish they would name it after more healthy stuff like M$ does with Mango. I would much rather have a mango than an ice cream sandwich. But I would rather keep my Android than buy another phone. Why can't Google switch to more healthy titles like cucumber or cherry?[/citation]
Mangoes are bland tasting. Windows Phone 7 is the worst selling mobile OS available right now. Android is named after tasty foods. It also happens to be the most popular mobile OS in existence. Get my point?

redhotbd

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
I want to get this so I can walk around saying, "AHHHHH!!!!!"....what?.."I just got Ice Cream Sandwich on my phone!!!"

boiler1990

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
...especially those of us who signed up for the original (and now horribly decrepit) Motorola DROID...

That was what made me switch to the HTC Incredible, and then iPhone 4. It was amazing how different the experiences were between the Incredible and the Droid - the Incredible was faster but bloated with Sense, while the Droid was slow but almost ran a vanilla version (updates murdered performance though). I know several people (average consumers) who hate their Droids and are looking to switch to iPhones.

I find it odd that Ice Cream Sandwich is intended to "eliminate Android's frustrating fragmentation," but with the rate at which carriers update phones, it is just going to further it. Google needs to call up the phone carriers (no pun intended) and work out something with them so that ALL devices are updated; otherwise the fragmentation will self-perpetuate with future OS versions.

boiler1990

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
[citation][nom]techguy378[/nom]Mangoes are bland tasting. Windows Phone 7 is the worst selling mobile OS available right now. Android is named after tasty foods. It also happens to be the most popular mobile OS in existence. Get my point?[/citation]

I think you're literally comparing mangos to ice cream sandwiches; most of the discrepancy is due to the number of phones. There are only a handful of WP7 devices (only one on VZW, the Trophy), but there are many more Android options and it's been around significantly longer. I'm actually tempted to try a WP7 phone once more come out, because I'd like to experiment with the W7-WP7 connectivity. I need more options than the HTC Trophy though.

Archean

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Well at least I don't care anymore what Google is doing to android, because having suffered considerable stability/reliability issues I've made up my mind, and either going to by Samsung's next WP phone based on SGSII platform or the Nokia Sea Ray. Beside WP's interface is beautiful from ground up when compared to Android's which seems like a distant copy of iOS in some ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.