Google's Larry Page Says Facebook Holds Users Hostage

Status
Not open for further replies.

freeman94

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
How ironic, being that both companies equally want to sell your soul (browsing history, searches, freedom, etc.) to the devil (advertisers).

jimmyjohnz

Honorable
May 14, 2012
I'd imagine Facebook's reasoning for not giving information to Google is to stop Google+. I mean honestly, one of the few reasons people don't even try Google+ is because they don't feel like having to find all of their friends again. If Google could ease the transfer of information between the two social networks they'd get plenty more people. These people could then be a larger crowd of judges and possibly bring more to the + depending on if they like it or not. Smart business decision by Facebook, dirty practice.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]mayne92[/nom]I will never use anything associated to FB[/citation]
and you'll never see me on google+

I can perfectly well understand why facebook won't hand over their userbase to google ; would a dating site hand over their users to a competing site? or newegg to tigerdirect? I think not

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Meantime back at the ranch I do not actually appreciate companies sharing my data at all. But at least with Adblock+ and other privacy browser mods I don't have to live with it being thrown in my face.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Coz google acted with amazing "reciprocity" when they stole all the patents they put into android, didn't they. There is a reason MS was able to demand (and get) compensation for the microsoft IP that was put into android by google.

Page is an idiot if he thinks FB will give + any data, when + was a direct rip off of FB created by google.

seigejet

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]Coz google acted with amazing "reciprocity" when they stole all the patents they put into android, didn't they. There is a reason MS was able to demand (and get) compensation for the microsoft IP that was put into android by google.Page is an idiot if he thinks FB will give + any data, when + was a direct rip off of FB created by google.[/citation]
You have no idea what you are talking about. They didn't steal any patents, they allegedly infringed on evidently innocuous intellectual property that Microsoft supposedly had... which isn't to say that Microsoft hasn't done the same (Re: Google (MMI) v. Microsoft, Inv. No. 337-TA-752). They're not saints... but neither is their competition. Also Microsoft has not gotten any compensation from Andriod via Google, only the handset manufacturers - which wasn't erroneously stated by you but seemingly implied, so just wanted to provide clarification.

sarezar

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Can I just have my FB contacts' pictures showing in my Android Ice Cream Sandwich phone contacts please? It worked fine with Gingerbread but this stupid competition forced them to not support such a simple and cool feature. Thanks :))

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Larry says "share all your Facebook data with Google"
Then Google sells all your information to anyone it can
OK, if Facebook may very well say they intend to use your information for various reasons when you sign up for an account, so you have the option to not sign up - but I never signed up to allow them to pass it on to the biggest data troll in human history
If Google wants to have a huge mine of information from a field as large as Facebook it needs to set up a viable alternative that people will actually use, i'm sure one day Facebook will be superceded the same way MySpace was, but you get there by providing a better product or service, not by having a big moan about how unfair life is. Is Google+ a better product or service? That's not for me to decide but the public votes with it's feet.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I don't think the Google CEO or Facebook really care about the users, though he keeps alluding to the fact that it's not fair to the users. It's all marketing data that's valuable to each company.

This is big business and for a Google CEO to come out and say such a thing indicates they are losing their footing.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]mayne92[/nom]I will never use anything associated to FB[/citation]
like it or not, everything you do has some kind of facebook link to it...most product you purchase have a facebook logo on it....facebook pays companies to put it on the products, therefore you are linked with facebook, you are paying them for the add, lol...funny

rgjhawkins

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]like it or not, everything you do has some kind of facebook link to it...most product you purchase have a facebook logo on it....facebook pays companies to put it on the products, therefore you are linked with facebook, you are paying them for the add, lol...funny[/citation]

I'm not sure what you mean here, can you give an example? what do you mean "most product you purchase have a facebook logo on it"?

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
"When you get something for free, you aren't the customer - you're the product."

How does Google's treatment of you differ from Facebook's?

Truth is, Google can't compete with Facebook on social networking, so they want Facebook to open up their most prized possession. Why doesn't Google reciprocate and open up their search algorithm to Facebook then? No? Then sit down, STFU, and go back to innovati....ahem...copying everything that everybody else does.

headscratcher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
Bleah, I am not comfortable with either of these companies having my private data. I don't have a FB page or ever go there and only use Google sparingly. They're in the business to exploit your info for profit, that's what they do. Any free stuff that they give you is geared toward exploiting you.

rgjhawkins

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]I think he means things like this:-http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/ukhome.htmlhttp://www.sony.co.uk/section/homehttp://www.ferrari.com/english/pages/home.aspxCompanies by default are putting on their homepages a link that says "like us on Facebook"[/citation]

Thats what I thought, I dont see how Fb gets any revenue unless you click the link and even then I'm not sure if they do. They most definatly dont get revenue from you purchasing from the site unless you passed through from Fb, so if you dont use Fb you dont contribute to them in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.