Google's Project Glass Will Work for People with Glasses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
The glasses have the potential to be very distracting. When I want data in front of me, I sit in front of a computer screen. I agree with one assessment with popups potentially being quite deadly if I'm driving 70 MPH on the Interstate

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
When driving on the interstate that's exactly when I want a device like this. The screen is situated outside your normal viewing area, and for this application is normally tranparent. There's a device already for sale that mounts on your motorcycle helmet to gives you speed, rpm, and gear information in a HUD. It's a LOT safer to look at a screen in the upper right corner of your vision that's set at the same focal distance as the road than to have to look down at a speed display, refocus, read the display, look back at the road, and refocus again.

I think Google is painting a cool vision of a future device... but it's a fair distance into the future (5 years or more I'd estimate) before device size gets small enough, resolution gets high enough, battery life gets long enough, and price gets low enough to provide a viable product in this market.

jdog2pt0

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
There was another glasses HUD project I saw on here a while back where a micro-projector beamed straight into your retina (using a safe level of light). They said the semi-transparent image appeared to floating a few feet in front of you. Anyways, being the geek I am, I think both of these are cool. However, being a Google product this one will get the most notability.

G

Google is trying another avenue of posting an ad in front of your eyeballs. It's an advertising company first and foremost; software second.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Of course it's going to work for people with glasses. You'd have to be a total idiot to have believed otherwise.

As for being distracting and dangerous, sure, just like billboards and hot girls can be distracting and dangerous.

Google ads? Only a moron would think that what Google wants to do with this technology will in any way limit what will actually be done with this technology. I think the impact of these glasses will ultimately be the replacement of other types of displays as well as creation of virtual interfaces. The mobile stuff, it won't be that important. I doubt many people have to look at a map while walking, any more than they do now. Same goes with video chat, it just isn't done that much on phones that have the capability.

These glasses are about turning your entire field of vision into a high quality "retina" display. Everything other application of this will be peripheral.

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
What would really be cool if you could replace glasses with something like this in the future. Little cameras on the side could give you choices of normal or various degrees of magnification.

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Stupid who really needs this. No thanks. Im fine with looking at stuff when i want to see it. However if it is used for a job or something where a technician has his hands full but needs to reference a manual or something i could see it being good.

andywork78

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Very good idea but when this tech stolen to AD commercial company... lol evil AD pop on my glass.

Wild i am driving then AD pop "Hi this is Verizon. And we are going to kill you wild you driving please watch this video"

Internet base device are good but we - customer need protection from does ad company.

If google can handle this well lol

acerace

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
[citation][nom]andywork78[/nom]one more if that glass on market i need app called "see through"lol just kidding !![/citation]

You pervert. :lol:

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Vuzix seems to be on the right track more so than google. I want both eyes and screen embedded in the glasses so you can have full 3d rendering overlaid onto you environment. I want holograms and augmented-reality games. I want to see the directional arrows floating in 3d over the actual road in the distance, not ads and facebook alerts blinking in 1 eye...

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]tokencode[/nom]Vuzix seems to be on the right track more so than google.[/citation]

If so, then go buy their stupid glasses. That crap is available right now.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Shin-san[/nom]The glasses have the potential to be very distracting. When I want data in front of me, I sit in front of a computer screen. I agree with one assessment with popups potentially being quite deadly if I'm driving 70 MPH on the Interstate[/citation]

Right. Because a bunch of jerks on a random internet forum are thinking of this and the people at google creating are totally going to miss it. Yup, they're going to allow popups in your face while driving.

What a bunch of deluded tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.