Google's Promises Android Will Remain Free to Partners

Status
Not open for further replies.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Why would they want to charge money for it?

Wouldn't make any sense because it would just increase the price of phones, which is not what Google wants.
Google wants as many android phones in the market as possible to earn more money from app sales.

f-gomes

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
"Google's Promises Android Will Remain Free to Partners" - you know that's not even correct English, don't you? It should read "Google Promises Android Will Remain Free to Partners"

But for me the big news is that Google apparently acquired both Microsoft and Motorola - wow!!

"Despite Microsoft and the Motorola acquisition, Google will [...]"

C'mon, guys, get your act together!

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
question, if they sold the phone without android (os less), at lets say, 20-30$ cheaper than normal, than had people at the store where you buy it from load the os or let you do it yourself, would that be circumvent the need to pay microsoft?

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]f-gomes[/nom]"Google's Promises Android Will Remain Free to Partners" - you know that's not even correct English, don't you? It should read "Google Promises Android Will Remain Free to Partners"But for me the big news is that Google apparently acquired both Microsoft and Motorola - wow!! "Despite Microsoft and the Motorola acquisition, Google will [...]"C'mon, guys, get your act together![/citation]

Actually, it can be correct English, depending on the intent of the author.

The whole title could simply be a noun: 'Google's promises Android will remain free to partners', much like titles such as 'Palin's story' or 'Our editor's thoughts'.

The multiple promises belong to Google and thus the apostrophe can be correct. Whether or not the author intended such a title, is not up to us.

'Despite Microsoft and the Motorola acquisition' should admittedly have had a comma, for clarity, to read:

'Despite Microsoft, and the Motorola acquisition' .

However, it's still correct, it's just open to interpretation. For example, if I said:

'due to inflation and employee cutbacks we've had to close our business' , would you say 'You cut back on inflation'? Probably not, because common sense is used when interpreting vague sentences.

dstigue

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]question, if they sold the phone without android (os less), at lets say, 20-30$ cheaper than normal, than had people at the store where you buy it from load the os or let you do it yourself, would that be circumvent the need to pay microsoft?[/citation]

I think you have the right idea here.. But I would think that it would be more sell the hardware and let the users decide the OS... for power users.. I like Vanilla Android anyway.. Or better yet cyanogenmod.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
That's nice and all, but if Android does use patents from other companies then it's expected of them to pay up. I can't see why this is so difficult for Google to comprehend.

Status
Not open for further replies.