Google's Self-Driving Cars Arrive in Nevada

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I dislike driving. It is such a waste of time for me. I get no joy from it. Driving is a serious business. Every time I sit behind the wheel, I am taking the lives of my family and myself into my hands. Often I can control what happens, but sometimes you get some OTHER crazy driver who either is impaired or just plane reckless who makes the road even more dangerous than the conditions of the road themselves...
If I can be driven by a driver who does not get tired, can see in the dark/fog/rain/snow/sleet, and can compensate for that with superior reaction time, who knows my exact GPS position at all times, is not subject to speeding, and can turn my commute into useful time... I will take that in a heartbeat.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]With Apple: Pay for products that are worth as much as a carWith Google: Get a car that can drive itself[/citation]

Surely your mistaken here, You mean "Apple: Pay for products that "COST" as much as a car, Worth actually indicates that their products are worth the price premium

G

What happens when there is an epic rain or snow storm, with cloud cover so heavy that there is no GPS signal? Or if the GPS signal is degraded down to +- 10 meters of accuracy, which is the difference between driving in your lane, and driving in a ditch.

Apparently, nobody has thought of that... Fu.c king idiots. At any rate, this is all in the name of big brother anyways, this is only useful technology if you're too da.m.n stupid to drive a car.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]With Apple: Pay for products that are priced as much as a carWith Google: Get a car that can drive itself[/citation]
Fixed it for ya.

serendipiti

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
It's easy to first think of drunk drivers as the ones who will benefit... But, this cars can change a whole lot of things: we only will need to have 1 car per family, you won't need to hesitate to find parking,,, McAuto of McDonalds and other Auto services...

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I don't have a problem with self driving. Just as long as they don't make a car with my personality or it will go all road rage on everyone's a$$.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Don't know why the fuss about this technology? I mean alot of airlines been doing this for years! Yes they let the computer fly, land and do takeoffs most of the time. Not sure about taxing the plane tho. And no I don't see pilotless planes anytime soon.

So looking forward to this for my future car.

garyshome

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
How much will this add to the price of a car? [I already can't afford a new car thanks to obummer]
I also wonder if there will be a camera in the vehicle keeping an eye on me? Or maybe a gps to track my shopping habits? It would be real good for gas mileage though.

G

This is what the US needs. But they need to be able to

1.) communicate with each other and emergency vheicles.
2.) be able to handle extreme weather conditions.
3.) not have an extreme cost.
4.) be easily distinguished from other cars
5.) be able to operate without external communication.

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
I'd like to see a report on all the conditions that they've gone 160,000 miles in. Have they driven the test vehicle in heavy fog? How was that handled? etc... Nevada is a good Alpha site as it's so sparsely populated (except Vegas/Reno of course).

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
This is very interesting. Another cool idea would be not to own a car, but request one when needed. Like a set of cars per neighbourhood, or a car on demand. Make it $1 per 5km, and people won't have to buy a car, which will be better for environment, and so on...

zhihong0321

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Google iDrive Terms and Conditions :
1) Drive at your own RISK

Google Plan :
1) Let us handle your email
2) Let us handle your Document (google doc)
3) Let us guide your journey (google maps)
4) Let us Handle your Smartphone
5) Let us Handle your browsing activity
6) Let us provide you the internet seach result
7) Let us manage your social profile (google+)

8) Now let us handle your Life ( let us drive your CAR )

Until one day, they have a button that able to stop everything on earth...

jisamaniac

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
For the elderly or the disabled or most of all people who hate driving (like me) this isn't such a bad idea. As long as I am able to drive the car manually because I feel like driving, then this is perfect. Can't wait to see this in action.

G

I can only see this as a supplemental "assist" in the near future. Until enough cars are automated and can communicate with each other to transmit conditions ahead of you there is no way I would trust the onboard computer alone.

Maybe if it can communicate via cellular towers so that constant road condition updates are occuring and I can see any info on my console then maybe I could ease up on how much I'm worried about the system every minute.

More than likely though this will cost way too much once implemented and the average public consumer will have to wait several more years after that. Call me again in ten years.

G

Personally, I'll take that GPS guided BMW that was featured on Top Gear UK a few years back over this Google contraption.

Don't get me wrong, I take joy in driving and love to carve through the occasional mountain pass. However, not all roads are as exciting to drive on.

Just give the technology a few more years to mature and have a manual mode for emergencies. Most jetliners can already take off and land by themselves with the pilot there as a precaution. It's about time our personal vehicles have caught up.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]freedom fry[/nom]What happens when there is an epic rain or snow storm, with cloud cover so heavy that there is no GPS signal? Or if the GPS signal is degraded down to +- 10 meters of accuracy, which is the difference between driving in your lane, and driving in a ditch.Apparently, nobody has thought of that... Fu.c king idiots. At any rate, this is all in the name of big brother anyways, this is only useful technology if you're too da.m.n stupid to drive a car.[/citation]
The car uses GPS for navigation and positioning only. All other aspects are determined using a array of sensors.

Status
Not open for further replies.