Government Suggested to Regulate P2P

Status
Not open for further replies.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
It's understandable that the government wants stop the sharing of classified information over P2P, but why was it even shared in the first place?

Somebody must have put the information on his MacBook and iPhone...

G

Scary seeing as there are many legitimate uses for P2P networks. It would not surprise me if the negative political perception of things like Limewire leads to laws stopping use of P2P networks even within private IT infrastructures.

G

What about the rest of the world? Should we have to put up with Uncle Sam's meddling? I think not. I'm way out of jurisdiction, I'd like to see them sue me.

G

Instead of policing P2P how about you stop allowing computers with sensitive information to touch the internet.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
The Federal Government has gotten out of hand. The Democratic Party has lost sight of what the United States stands for. It is within the Government's power to regulate commerce, but not what private citizens do on their own time. If I choose to use "P2P" to transmit information I own, or is for public use, it is not the Government's right to monitor that.

Such actions fall into a police action, which is illegal without a warrant. Unless they are going to monitor what we are transmitting, then what else is there to regulate?

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
So, you're a new IT person and you come in to see people with Limewire on their computers and no banned software list in the IT Policy. Who wouldn't point this out as a serious problem in the first meeting they attend? End users shouldn't be given too much slack, since they'll just hang themselves with it. But, instead of changing the way they handle things internally, its the horrible P2P software's fault. Grow some accountability, you fucking incompetent government sheep.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
"...his overall opinion of popular P2P service LimeWire and its use in acquiring FBI files, Social Security numbers, medical records, and information regarding a safe house location for President Barack Obama."

OK. Let's see here. He is basing his opinion on one sight. He clearly does not know the importance of P2P protocols and how they are generally used and based on the above I have to say it sounds to me like the FBI and the overall government a lacking in knowledge and know how of technology in general. Basically I am saying they are a bunch of uninformed and possiably uneducated bunch of idiots. The very fact that this senator would say such things tells me that it is not the P2P that's the problem but the government and its offices that are not doing their job and once again instead of doing their job right, educating themselves on the technology and how to keep things private, they blame others for their lack of gross incompetence.

G

This is IT 101. Don't let users install applications that aren't needed to do their job, and don't open ports in the firewall that aren't used by necessary services. If people are sharing sensitive files at home, don't let them take files home with them. Have them use a VPN connection or thin client instead.

I can only hope the FTC and FCC can see the folly in Towns' proposal. It seems a lot of nonsense has been coming out of the mouths of New York politicians lately. We should all write a letter to Towns explaining to him the ways of the world (snail mail, since he might not even know how to use email ¬_¬)

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
This sounds like the government trying to tax winnings at your weekly poker game over at Dave's house... I'm sure they're really LOVE to implement this, but good luck... most of the companies providing P2P clients or servers are well out of U.S. government jurisdiction.

+1 to montezuma by the way... this has nothing to do with interstate commerce and the 'federal' government needs to stop trying to impose other people's desires on a third party. Give us protection from violence from within and without as you were DESIGNED and LIMITED to do and let people live their life.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
The government shouldn't be using unsecure software at all. Of course if they were serious about that then they would have ditched windows for Linux some time ago ^_^. Really though, people think they can use P2P software at work, on their work computer, and get away with it. I generally do stuff like that, like posting at Toms, from my laptop here. One of the nice things about being a web developer without an office ^_^.

Status
Not open for further replies.