GPU upgrade Dell Inspiron 15 5577

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
Nope. The vast majority of laptops do not allow you to upgrade the GPU because it is soldered into the motherboard. Only specific gaming laptop models that generally costs at least $1,400 USD can be upgrade. The key phrase is "specific gaming laptop models".

Upgradable graphics means that the GPU itself must come on a "MXM card". These are like mini-PCIe cards that are inserted into MXM ports. Only the more expensive GPU chips get the "MXM treatment" because it increases the cost of the laptop.

I think the lowest performance current nVidia GPU chip that comes on a "MXM card" is the GTX 1060. They are not sold directly to the public. On ebay a MXM GTX 1060 GPU has typically listed for at least $600 and I have seen prices as high as...
Nope. The vast majority of laptops do not allow you to upgrade the GPU because it is soldered into the motherboard. Only specific gaming laptop models that generally costs at least $1,400 USD can be upgrade. The key phrase is "specific gaming laptop models".

Upgradable graphics means that the GPU itself must come on a "MXM card". These are like mini-PCIe cards that are inserted into MXM ports. Only the more expensive GPU chips get the "MXM treatment" because it increases the cost of the laptop.

I think the lowest performance current nVidia GPU chip that comes on a "MXM card" is the GTX 1060. They are not sold directly to the public. On ebay a MXM GTX 1060 GPU has typically listed for at least $600 and I have seen prices as high as $800 for it.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.