Gpu upgrade HP pavilion 15

Superbean

Commendable
May 29, 2016
Hey I have a HP pavilion 15 with a intel core i7-5500u 8gb ram 1tb hard drive geforce 940m 2gb vram. I seen that another model of my computer used a gtx 950m and I was wondering how hard it would be if possible at all to upgrade it thanks.

Solution

That's an Australian shop, your prices in AU dollars will be a lot different than US prices.

I thought you were talking about US dollars when you said you spent $1,500 on the laptop. If you are looking for a system for gaming, the 940m is the lowest you should go even for low settings with games, and some demanding games won't run well even on low. I'd look for a system with a 960m video card for gaming. Once you buy a laptop, you are not upgrading it.

Superbean

Commendable
May 29, 2016
Cheers guys I'll open.her up and have a look, is there any other way I can boost gaming performance it's just not running games the way I want it to what about a gpu overclock?

DSzymborski

Distinguished

Realistically, not a whole lot. The small form factors of laptop both make upgrades much less practical and because heat dissipation is a much larger problem for a laptop form factor than a desktop, you tend to be extremely limited with how much you can push them.

An SSD wold do pretty much nothing for games, but it will make the system overall a lot faster, especially going from a 5400 rpm drive.

The only real upgrade you can make for gaming is to replace the laptop with a faster one.

DSzymborski

Distinguished

Games will load faster and general use for the laptop will be quicker, but it won't have a meaningful effect on your fps.

Superbean

Commendable
May 29, 2016

Superbean

Commendable
May 29, 2016
Yeah the laptops literally 5 days old I just spent $1500 on it, I feel so stupid because I thought it was suppose to have a gtx 950 in it but idk I've got good fps on everything on medium high res but I keep getting stutter but no drop in fps no idea what it is..

rgd1101

Don't

HP should have a 30 days return policy, or maybe contact HP for an upgrade/exchange

Where did you get that laptop for $1,500? For that much you can get a system with a 970m video card made for gaming. If it's new, return it, and look for something else. This $800 laptop will be a lot faster in games https://www.amazon.com/Dell-15-6-Inch-Quad-Core-i5-6300HQ-Processor/dp/B015PYYDMQ?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

For over 1,000 you can check in www.xoticpc.com for some gaming specific laptops.

Kritonios

Estimable
Jul 25, 2015
I would like to note that another factor that you should take into account is that the gpu cooler may not be good enough in order to make the gpu run as it should or may even overheat and destroy the whole laptop.

Superbean

Commendable
May 29, 2016
Yeah thanks for the input I bought it from harvey norman and I told them what I needed it for and they told me.it had a gtx 950m and I didn't check the specs I just trusted there judgement it.first even.have a quad core cpu I'll.Call them.now

That's an Australian shop, your prices in AU dollars will be a lot different than US prices.

I thought you were talking about US dollars when you said you spent $1,500 on the laptop. If you are looking for a system for gaming, the 940m is the lowest you should go even for low settings with games, and some demanding games won't run well even on low. I'd look for a system with a 960m video card for gaming. Once you buy a laptop, you are not upgrading it.

Solution

Superbean

Commendable
May 29, 2016
Yeah I've returned the laptop for store credit and paid a extra $200 and got an msi apache pro intel core i7-6700hq nvidia gtx 965m 2gb 8gb ram 1tb 7200rpm hybrid 250gb ssd.

For an extra $200 that is a good buy, you have a full quad core i7 now instead of the slower dual core, and a 2.5 step up video card, very good deal over the HP.