Graphic processors, best ATI

oldlady2

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
I am considering purchase of notebook/laptop with GPU ATI and Intel (if possible CPU) . Have had incredible bad luck with HP AMD/NVIDIA combo. ma y reply to b11s04c20c08@gmail.com

Desire high entertainment/graphic and business level performance,not necessarily intense game level, but don't want dragging video/streaming problems with multitasking.

Solution

Not sure I fully understand that, but I will give this a try.

1) A desktop would certainly be cheaper than a high-end laptop. You can get...

oldlady2

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009

I'm sorry but don't see a form at top of page; just the question box like I used to ask this question.

I had configured the HP HDX 18" High Performance Notebook with Windows Vista SP 64 bit, Intel Core2 Quad q9000, 640G SATA 7200rpm hard drive (320 x2), 1 G NVIDI GEFORCE, 4G DDR3 MEMORY, main specifications. also a DVDRW non blue ray drive and wireless N networking

oldlady2

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
1_What is your budget?
about $2000 to possibly include extended warranty[/color]

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
17-20 "

3_What screen resolution do you want?
1920x1080 at least

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
serve as both. It will travel with me but rarely even once a month. In October it will be 3x but is exception

5_How much battery life do you need?
3-6 hrs. not terrible important as I rarely fly or use in car. Otherwise it stays tethered to an outlet.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop?
I play a few games but want to capacity to play some graphic intensive programming

If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Sims, Doom Overall I'd say medium

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Photo/Video editing, watching movies, large business Apps, Internet, E-mail, intense multitasking

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
500-750Gig

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
I would like to buy from a site that allows customization

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
at least 5 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I'd like DVD/ROM?Writer/BluRay with LightScribe.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I've had two laptops a Averatec and HP .
Averetec had a power cord problem fixed in warranty and otherwise still in use although sometimes require SYSTEM RESTORE from DOS when moved around .
HP has had 2 complete MB replacements because of overheating of NIVIDEA graphics processor. Makes me want an ATI processor.

13_What country do you live in?
USA

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
CPU Core 2 Quad; 3-4g Memory compatible with CPU/GPU DDR3 etc

pcfixed

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
why not a pc? i mean in like 1 year new things will come out and you're stuck with the same *** where pc, you can always change new graphic cards at least and have huge screen and ect for less the price. then you gona say, no space?

17" laptop will weight just the same as a pc tower, 17" laptop will need a desk anyway it will burn your legs and its not safe to do so..realy get an alienware liquid cooled pc, a high end gaming laptop will just die man.

oldlady2

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009

oldlady2

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
My physical and skeletal systems no longer allow me to sit long periods of time at a PC and my carpal tunnel surgeries are failing--not uncommon.

My 14.1 in HP Pavilion dv22425nR notebook sits on a night-stand-like piece of furniture about 12"x14" with enclosed storage and a open shelf.

The HP notebook is attached to a Targus dual fan cooler sitting a light metal notebook holder at a slight slant. I feel NO HEAT

Thw entire setup easily slides onto my lap after the electric lift chair is proper elevgted to the proper height. I have never dropped it.

This HP notebook is in a number of series that have had multiple CPU/GPU failures do to improper soldering and maybe other problems.

Despite have an AMD processor it had a NVidia GMU not ATI.

I could do with a 16-17 ince screen, except HP did not offer a CoreDUO Quad processor in anything I found on-line except the HDX 18.4.

I would like a 1g GPU and 3-4 DDR 3 GPU. Even my present on drags on some streaming video and You TUBE stuff. the DVD CD does ok.

The overheating NVidia cards was a series related issue and hasn't occured like it did a couple of years ago. In other words, it seems NVidia fixed the problem.

If you want to go with ATI, I would say look at the MSI GT729. There aren't many high-end gaming laptops that use ATI GPUs. The majority use NVidia.

If you are willing to go back to NVidia, then this would be about the best option available for your budget: http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8760-built-clevo-w870cu-custom-gaming-laptop-p-2660.html

oldlady2

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I honestly think I could do with a a very high end entertainment PC just short of a gaming machine. I just want streaming and highend video flowing smoothly. I realize my DSL which is 50o/125 is some of the problem and which I have hopes 0f improvement as viberoptics which is being installed in my area and why I picked HP HDX. If they had the core duo quad in smaller sscreen i would probably step down size. I can't find many brands with CORE DUO Quads. Are the othrt notebook processors equivalent-

Not sure I fully understand that, but I will give this a try.

1) A desktop would certainly be cheaper than a high-end laptop. You can get better hardware for less in most cases.
2) If you are asking about the 2 laptops I mention above, the MSI uses Core2 Duos and can't be equiped with a Quad. At least not that I've seen. The Sager from the link I posted uses Core i7 processors which are Intel's newest Quad Cores.

Did I get that right?

Solution