graphics card display isn't detected

Moha__

Commendable
Mar 7, 2016
Hi all,

I have such a weird problem. my laptop was working fine and I was playing then suddenly the game froze and I had blue screen then the laptop went off. I tried to open it and see what's wrong " the screen was working " but when I put things back and tried to turn it on the screen was black and it didn't boot. I knew using an external monitor that the hard disk died. I went and bought a new one and using an external monitor I formatted it and it worked fine ONLY on the external monitor as its primary Display. I tried so many solutions, reinstalled windows, drivers from Hp support and BIOS update but I still have the problem that the screen is black, even though the laptop boots and can even play games on external monitor. When I try to detect other displays it shows that there's another available output : AMD etc " my graphics card " but down it says beside " multiple display : No display detected ". for more information, when I press F4 and choose projector " PC only " is shows only on external monitor, is I choose second projector " No signal " , Duplicate it shows only on external but lower resolution and in AMD settings " detected display " it shows the TV #1 and another Unknown display with laptop screen icon. please help cause I searched for all common problems or ways but nothing worked!! I also cleaned the motherboard with a cleaner and made sure that all cables are connected well..

I have Hp pavilion 15-n083sa
AMD Radeon HD 7620G/8670M Dual GPU

Solution

CircuitDaemon

Commendable
Feb 23, 2016
I don't think your hard drive was damaged in the first place, it seems like the problem comes from the AMD graphics. This is a common problem when the manufacturer uses cheap soldering methods with the GPU. The heat melts the solder points and it disconnects from it. Look for "reballing" on the internet and you'll know what I'm talking about. You seem to know your way around the basics, and you already tried everything that should have fixed this in a regular situation. You'll most likely have to send the motherboard for a repair or get a replacement.

Moha__

Commendable
Mar 7, 2016

Thanks for your answer, I think the hard disk was damaged cause i couldn't install windows even when I used external monitor but I could when I bought a new one. I saw the video. Thanks for the information about this. What confused me was that I could play all games I wanted to play on the external monitor, that's why I thought, how could it happen if the graphics card isn't working or damaged I hoped that it could be something I can do but here in this country, I can't find who can repair the motherboard :( any other ideas I could try?

CircuitDaemon

Commendable
Feb 23, 2016

It's not an elegant solution but if you could get a heat gun you might be able to temporarily fix it yourself. There's also a lot of information about that, look it up as "reflow laptop gpu". Where do you live? It might not be the cheapest option, but I could help you find someone who ships it there.

Solution

Totally agree.

There seems to be an issue with either signal to the built-in screen, or the screen itself. Since you can get an external picture, I don't think your display adapter, specifically, has an issue. You may need to replace either the screen or the video cable (or both, but unlikely). The worst case scenario is that it's actually the board, but I am doubtful of that too.

Moha__

Commendable
Mar 7, 2016

I live in Turkey, but I'm not Turk and I can't speak Turkish as well :eek: I know it's bad but it seems that I should put it away and use the other laptop that I already have. I forgot to mention that It wasn't that old laptop, only 1 year old yeah xD but didn't expect this fail

Moha__

Commendable
Mar 7, 2016

Thanks, even though I already got disappointed that I tried many things and still have this black screen that kills me xD but I still haven't tried to change the cable or the screen. I said weird problem cause I don't know, I could play games on the external and the games work well with no lag. didn't know it could happen even if the gpu is damaged. I will try this, I really hope it works.