Solved! Graphics Card issues Alienware18 labtop

Jan 26, 2019
So I have an alienware 18 labtop with the gtx970 graphics card with heat sync attached. My labtop one day shut down and stopped working so I pulled it apart and found that the issue was with the graphics card. If I plugged my charging cable into labtop while graphics card was plugged in, the green light on the cable would shut off. And there would be no power to the entire computer. My girlfriend and I were drinking one night she spilt her drink on the keyboard I shut down immediately etcetera worked for a week or two after then wouldn't start up ever again. Until I pulled the graphics card. Before I go and buy a new graphics card for fear that the issue might be with the graphics card slot, or a fixable issue with my current graphics card I was wondering if there are ways to trouble shoot the issues or to fix the card myself.

Solution
If there was liquid in it, and it wasn't just water, then just letting it 'dry' won't do it. It needed to be opened up and dried for days, with the battery out and no power. Then opened up and cleaned everywhere, as anything but water will leave a residue. Then it would need to be left open again and drying for a few more days. The more liquid, the more days. Alas, if this wasn't done, then you likely fried one or more things.

At this point, before buying any parts, I would really suggest having it thoroughly checked out by a tech. There is no telling what could have been damaged or how much liquid or sticky parts are still in there.
If there was liquid in it, and it wasn't just water, then just letting it 'dry' won't do it. It needed to be opened up and dried for days, with the battery out and no power. Then opened up and cleaned everywhere, as anything but water will leave a residue. Then it would need to be left open again and drying for a few more days. The more liquid, the more days. Alas, if this wasn't done, then you likely fried one or more things.

At this point, before buying any parts, I would really suggest having it thoroughly checked out by a tech. There is no telling what could have been damaged or how much liquid or sticky parts are still in there.

Solution