Graphics Processor doesn't run games anymore (dxgifactory or d3d swapchain error)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shayak2007

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017
Hi,
My problem is regarding the Lenovo Ideapad Z570 graphics and applications. Basically whenever I try to run ANY game (Max Payne 3, GTA V, NFS Run, BattleField3, etc.) it always ends immediately or within a few seconds with the error "dxgifactory createswapchain E_InvalidArg" or "gfx d3d swapchain alloc 2". I can run them only on the Integrated Graphics but not on the NVIDIA GPU. I can run the games on the dedicated GPU only if I disable the Integrated Graphics in Device Manager. But then I cant play them since the CPU usage suddenly spikes to 99-100 percent until I turn the integrated graphics back on. This was never an issue before. I've had this laptop for about 5 years now and it used to run all these games smoothly. This has been happening from the past month. I have an i3 2.10 ghz processor with 6GB RAM. The Integrated Graphics is Intel HD 3000 and the Dedicated GPU is NVIDIA 520M (1GB). I have uninstalled and reinstalled all the latest drivers for both Intel and the NVIDIA GPU and I have all the updates from DirectX upto DirectX12. I just don't know what the problem is or what I can do to fix it. I'm really stuck with this. Any help regarding this would be much appreciated.

Solution
Hi,

I've finally found a solution myself to the problem.

See this thread for a specific game : https://steamcommunity.com/app/228200/discussions/0/3182216552765743658/

This one for global correction : https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/645ukf/windows_10_cu_fullscreen_optimizations/

ovidiubisoc

Prominent
Dec 23, 2017
I HAVE FIXED IT!!!!

I installed another version of windows 10

now i got the windows 10 PRO 10240 build,after installing i got DRIVER BOOSTER 5,let it install all my drivers correctly,now it is a charm :3,hope this works for you guys,have a nice day,i am waiting for your response

sanutra

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017

Hello Mark,

I am experiencing the same issue.
I have a laptop with integrated graphics (intel hd 3000) and a gpu (nvidia gt555m).

I've tried the solution you provided with a little tweak :

1) Clean nvidia driver with DDU and reboot
2) I don't have the intel driver in add/remove programs, so I just installed the driver from the link provided
3) Reboot
4) Install the nvidia driver back
5) Enabled back the policy for windows in DDU
6) Test ==> Did not work

The only work-around I have is to plugin the laptop via HDMI into another display. This way the games start.

Do you have any solution to my problem ? This is driving me crazy... :(
By the way, in the nvidia control pannel, selecting the intel graphics for a game, allows to start it, but with poor resolution indeed...

Thank you in advance!

Sanutra

sanutra

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017
Hi,

I've finally found a solution myself to the problem.

See this thread for a specific game : https://steamcommunity.com/app/228200/discussions/0/3182216552765743658/

This one for global correction : https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/645ukf/windows_10_cu_fullscreen_optimizations/

Solution

shayak2007

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017

Thank you, thank you, thank you so much. It solved the issue for me. As the article stated, I changed the compatibility settings to "Disable Fullscreen Optimization" and it worked. As of now the games which were not working are running now on the NVIDIA GPU. Much appreciated.

shayak2007

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017

The solution provided in the article that sanutra posted worked for me. The games are running as they were before. Just had to select the "Disable Fullscreen Optimization" checkbox for compatibility.

sanutra

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017
Hi Shayak,

Just disable the windows game bar by going to settings ==> gaming.
Anyway I don't think this windows game bar is useful!

shayak2007

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017

Does leaving the game bar settings to default create any more issues? To be honest at this moment your solution regarding the compatibility worked for me without doing anything to the game bar.

nicolysapekademais

Prominent
Jan 4, 2018

Hi....
I have had the same problem. HD3000 and GT540M, Windows 10, 1709. But i have resolved this very easy.
Download and make a clean install of the latest NVIDIA drivers. There is no need to update the HD3000 drivers they come with Windows 10.
Download and install some older DirectX drivers/stuff (dx9, dx10, dx11).
Go to the folders where are the game executables are located, right click, properties, compatibility and mark the checkboxes "disable full screen optimization" and "run as administrator".
Configure the games in the NVIDIA control panel ro run with the NVIDIA grapics processor.
Normally all games are running now with the NVIDIA grapics processor.
If any INTEL graphics processor and both graphics processors are not DX12, DXDIAG doesn't show the NVIDIA graphics processor (maybe a Windows Bug).

i hope this helps

TRENDING THREADS