Great gaming laptops for up to £1000

macl64

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
I'm looking for a gaming laptop which will allow me to play so called 'next gen' games at high settings. By 'next gen' I am mainly referring to games being released in 2015 such as battlefront (2015) and currently released games that demand high requirements such as Watch Dogs.
Any recommendations are much appreciated.
Thanks.

Solution
Get the P377SM with a 47MQ and dual 770M or 870M. Might exceed your budget a little if you also want an SSD, you can also look for high stepping ES i7s at a cheaper price or the last gen 370EM with a dual 675MX. I don't think there are many alternatives, you're asking a lot from a laptop, a single 880M won't suffice and laptops with dual graphics cards from msi or AW will cost a lot more.

edwd2

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
Get the P377SM with a 47MQ and dual 770M or 870M. Might exceed your budget a little if you also want an SSD, you can also look for high stepping ES i7s at a cheaper price or the last gen 370EM with a dual 675MX. I don't think there are many alternatives, you're asking a lot from a laptop, a single 880M won't suffice and laptops with dual graphics cards from msi or AW will cost a lot more.

Solution

hotcheetos25

Estimable
Jun 11, 2014
Laptops aren't really the way to go for intense gaming. They are fragile and can overheat easier due to compressed space on the unit. Minimum modding is available, again due to reduced space. Monitor wise, you can connect an external monitor but it defeats the purpose of having one built in which most likely will only achieve 1080p, max 1440p and you are talking expensive right there. If you really need a laptop go for it but the best way for gaming would be a custom desktop.

g-unit1111

Distinguished

It's not just overheating, that's one reason I hate going with super expensive laptops. Sure it's a problem but there are far more important other factors. Such as lack of upgradability, and the ultra fast depreciation on these laptops. You won't get back 1/2 of what you paid for them when they were new. And gaming laptops generally have a shelf life of about two years where desktops will last you several years.

The best laptops I can think of in your price range are the barebones laptops that have a great maintainability and generally good lifespan. As for the model I don't know as I am not familiar with them and they have strange names. Although I would highly recommend buying a desktop for the kind of gaming you are doing as you get more for your money.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Clevo is the ODM that is know for their barbone gaming machines. Here is USA Sager is one of the most know barbone brands. Actually Asus & MSI used to have barebones but they seem to be more into the the mass market brand name laptop. Look at the Alienware 18 it has a huge case with lots of airflow out of the back of the laptop. You can upgrade all components except the mobo.

g-unit1111

Distinguished

On a laptop? No you can't. I don't know of a single manufacturer that allows this. The only components you can upgrade on any given laptop are the RAM and primary storage drive. Everything else is soldered into the motherboard and that includes the CPU and GPU. And every manufacturer does this, including the almighty Alienware.

A lot of the laptops that Asus and MSI sell actually are rebranded Sager / Clevo laptops.

hotcheetos25

Estimable
Jun 11, 2014

as g-unit said, i seriously doubt you can mod a laptop that much, ram and hard drive def. that would be a mac then *as he types on his macbook* but seriously a laptop would never challenged a custom desktop on modibility, graphics, and overall power.

xzahn

Estimable
Sep 3, 2014
I don't really now how much these would cost in your country, but in mine these are the "cheaper gaming" laptops. Y510p, Y50, G56/ROGs (very stylish). However, If I ever need gaming laptop I would definitely go with Razer Blade.

edwd2

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013

No, apparently you don't know much at all.
CPU and, in many cases, GPU of high end laptops are upgradeable and not soldered. the Haswell -M/MQ/MX processors use the socket PGA946, previous Ivy and Sandy Bridge (-M/QM/XM) mobile processors used the PGA988, which are all interchangeable as long as the motherboard has a HM65/67/76/77 chipset. GPU from high end laptops usually use the MXM interface and are compatible within the same series, you can upgrade the GTX660M of your P150EM to a GTX680M from Clevo itself or Alienware. This is not always the case, the ASUS Republic of Gamers series for example, although using MXM3.0 GPUs, their shapes are not compatible with those of other manufacturers and even upgrading a 660M to a 675M of the same model will require flashing the Bios (e.g. G75VW to G75VX). And what? MSI selling Sager barebones!?

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

Yes i just purchased an Alienware. I had the options of 8,16 or 32 GB or ram, I7 4710 MQ, i7 4800MQ, i7 4910 MQ and the 4940MX. with the GPU - Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M graphics or dual Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 870M graphics or Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 860M graphics then even Dual AMD Radeon™ R9 M290X GPU with 8GB of combined GDDR5 memory

HD choices 256 GB Msata SSD + 1 TB HD, 4 raid 1 or 0 256 gb SSD's, 80 GB SSD caching and 1 TB or 2 TB hard drive. The range of the configuration range from around 2000 to 5000.

My machine has: 16 gb ram, i7 4810MQ, Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 860M, Msata 256 GB Boot drive and 1 TB hard drive.

Listen to the video it's completely upgradeable to the same across the haswell generation.

Also yes I know MSI and Asus do use other ODM's to manufacture their laptops

http://www.xoticpc.com/laptop-manufacturers-really-makes-laptops-ip-11.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_laptop_brands_and_manufacturers

G

I beg to disagree in some aspects here. To begin with, desktops's prices decrease along the years just like laptops do, but it's easier to just show someone who doesn't really know about computers your mega/funny/hardcore case and he will fall in love without even a remote idea of what's inside. If a system lasts you two years, you're doing it wrong. 17'' is enough of a monitor, otherwise, your biggest tv with hdmi will do it. Is really a pc the way to go for intensive gaming? nope, the way for intensive gaming is an xbox one, a ps4 or a wii u while sitting in your couch watching your biggest tv playing every game available without having to do any modifications neither to your console nor its software and all at half the price of your "gaming desktop/laptop". I agree with the upgradability and the heating points though, It's better to lower some settings than to fry your laptop :p.

As I've said before, don't compare your watch and your smartphone. Desktops are for general usage in your house while laptops are for general (although lighter than pc's) usage in your house or anywhere as long as you can carry 1kg to 7kg.

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Well I definitely admit when I'm wrong and this is one of those times. I'm not used to ultra high end laptops (I had one with a 17" screen and hated it) but I never used to think there was much to upgrading laptops other than RAM and primary hard drives.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Well your statement is true for most and probably 95% if not 100% of laptops under 1000.00. Those laptops that are upgradeable run in the 1500 to 5000 (loaded with high end components) price range. I love big screen laptops. I've purchased laptop in my life and 2 were under 16" screens. I've had 3 17.3" laptops, 2 18.4" and one 20.1" laptop screen.