Solved! Grey Screen when laptop is shut and reopened

Dec 21, 2018
Hello all.

I have been having an issue with my laptop for quite a while now (after one of the updates to Windows 10 late last year), where if the laptop screen goes to sleep or the screen is shut and reopened. The screen will turn on to a grey screen that has a lot of lines. I am unable to get a response from the computer and have to shut it down and turn it back on.

I had it sent off to MSI as that is the make and they didn't fix the laptop but just pointed out the cosmetic damage on the fan covers and the slight wear on the keyboard.

Was wondering if anyone else had a similar issue or if they know how to fix it.

My Laptop specs:
Machine name: MSI
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 16299) (16299.rs3_release_svc_escrow.180502-1908)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
System Model: GP62 6QF
BIOS: E16J5IMS.114
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8070MB RAM
Page File: 4078MB used, 5272MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 12

P.s - When I connect an external monitor to the laptop via an HDMI cable it will do the grey screen on the external monitor. Unfortunately, its no longer under warranty and the manufacturer never opened up the case and looked at the cables.
I will also point out that i didn't have this issue until it was sent back to me by MSI. I did bring this up with them and they told me it wasn't them and that they wouldn't fix it without me paying to get it sent back.

Solution
Sounds like either there is something going on with the cable that connects the display to the motherboard, or the display itself. First try updating the graphics driver and see if that helps. If not then try...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If things work fine on the external one, even if you put the laptop to sleep, then we are back to the cable and the display.

Since you recently had the manufacturer look at it, I am going to assume it is under...
Sounds like either there is something going on with the cable that connects the display to the motherboard, or the display itself. First try updating the graphics driver and see if that helps. If not then try...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If things work fine on the external one, even if you put the laptop to sleep, then we are back to the cable and the display.

Since you recently had the manufacturer look at it, I am going to assume it is under warranty. If that is the case, then they will need to look at it again. As, should you or anyone else open it up to work on it, you would then void the warranty.

Solution