Group Uses Optical Illusion for Speed Bump, Puts Faux Kid in Middle of Canadian

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
How about actually the image of an upcoming speed bump accompanied with a Speed Bump sign, that way if people start to ignore them and come across a real one at full speed, they just F$%$ up their own car and don't injure anyone!

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]someguynamedmatt[/nom]I still stick to supporting today's speed bumps that will just throw your car out of allignment if you ignore them.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJZZzM6MgW4...or that. That works, too.[/citation]

You know what thermite is? Thats what I will pour and ignite over your crappy thing.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Stupid parents are stupid. They should start by teaching their kids not to run in the middle of the streets.

[citation][nom]Saffron_Blaze[/nom]Funny, I am Canadian, and I still stop for Stop signs. I guess I am immune to desensitisation.[/citation]

I stopped doing that a long time ago, gas is expensive.

g0rilla

Distinguished
May 15, 2007
[citation][nom]elel[/nom]I certainly would be worried that I would have trouble telling between this image and the 'real thing'[/citation]

The real ones move.

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
Up hear in the great north our speed limit is 30 km/h in school zones; if you can tell the difference between a 2D kid and a real one then you probably do OK. Some commenters on this thread seem to think that it is OK do be doing everything and anything but focusing on the road, which I believe is the point of this ad campaign.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
[citation][nom]user-one[/nom]canadians are the stupidest people on the planet. all this is gonna do is make people used to seeing "fake" kids in the street and not even pay attention to the real ones. ******* ignorant.[/citation]
You clearly demonstrated your superior intelligence with your comment.

Have you ever seen 3-d street art? This is very similar. It will only look like a child in the street for a brief moment.

Not only did you demonstrate your lack of reading skills, you also fail at understanding what you just have read.

Most of the posters either didn’t read or didn’t understand……. Pick one.

I am Canadian and probably more intelligent than you ( @ user- one ).

accolite

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Looks like Toms needs a more secure way of letting people register, 2 SPAM posts so far.

Back to this article, If they want to make people slow down they should put one of those speeds bumps that activate only at a certain speed, you know the kind that if you go 35 MPH you are just passing over a very small hump but if you go 45 MPH it will make you car act like it just went air borne and cause you a very rough ride.

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
i can just picture someone coming to screeching halt and then getting rear-ended by the guy behind them. sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

/gets popcorn

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
i can just picture someone coming to screeching halt and then getting rear-ended by the guy behind them. sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]eyemaster[/nom]Stop on the "Kid" and make a burn out... A big black mark on that and it no longer looks like an illusion.[/citation]

Thats the spirit!

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]keither5150[/nom]I am Canadian and, as all Canadians, definitely more intelligent than you ( @ user- one ).[/citation]
There was a typo, I fixed it for you.

G

Last time I checked, most people steadily slow down when they see children ahead on the road, rather than unintelligently swirving left and right and crashing into the sidewalk....

G

Robert the blogger for Preventable.ca here. Thanks for all the attention, comments, and feedback on this campaign so far. For clarification on how the road installation works, please checkout our latest post - http://ht.ly/2BYTv

james_8970

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
If you can't tell the difference between a 2D image and the real thing as your approach it, please seek help. The image is supposed to raise awareness about the potential hazards on the roads and this is accomplished AT A DISTANCE.
To prove this, traveling at 18mph or 30km/h is the equivalent of 8.33m/s. Its supposed to be realistic at 100 meters, this gives a driver 12 full seconds to realize if its a picture or not. I don't think a child or a stray ball would remain in the exact same position for 12 seconds. Furthermore, in order for the image to look realistic at a distance it's stretched out, making the image less realistic and distorted as you approach it. If you are unable to decide whether an object is real or not in that kind of time, I don't think you ought to have a license. At the very least the image will make drivers far more alert in the area. Think before you post a comment, please.

stingstang, Canada is not a screwed up country, now grow up and quit fearing what you know nothing about.

james_8970

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
If you can't tell the difference between a 2D image and the real thing as your approach it, please seek help. The image is supposed to raise awareness about the potential hazards on the roads and this is accomplished AT A DISTANCE.
To prove this, traveling at 18mph or 30km/h is the equivalent of 8.33m/s. Its supposed to be realistic at 100 meters, this gives a driver 12 full seconds to realize if its a picture or not. I don't think a child or a stray ball would remain in the exact same position for 12 seconds. Furthermore, in order for the image to look realistic at a distance it's stretched out, making the image less realistic and distorted as you approach it. If you are unable to decide whether an object is real or not in that kind of time, I don't think you ought to have a license. At the very least the image will make drivers far more alert in the area. Think before you post a comment, please.

stingstang, Canada is not a screwed up country, now grow up and quit fearing what you know nothing about.

Status
Not open for further replies.