gtx 960m 2gb or gtx 960m 4gb for gaming? Which of these laptops would perform better?

Melach

Estimable
Mar 8, 2014
So I'm having difficulties choosing between these two laptops: Asus ZenBook Pro UX501vw or Acer Aspire v15 Nitro VN7-592G. The latter one has a GTX 960M 4gb video card, while Asus have only 2gb, will this difference affect the gaming performance by much? I have a feeling the Acer one has better performance for gaming, but I also want Asus due to the nice slim model and it being really light at only 4.5 pounds, since I move around a lot. So gaming-wise, which laptop would give higher fps? Or is it more or less the same? Help would be appreciated!

Solution
well, core wise they are the same, and just like with the full 960 desktop, the extra 2GB of RAM almost never helps, sa the card simply is almost never going to have the power to really make use of the extra memory in a sense. (if you were to max the game, the core would be too weak, so the extra RAM would not help) a mobile 960 is weaker, so 2GB is fine.

Robert Cook

Honorable
Herald
Dec 15, 2014
well, core wise they are the same, and just like with the full 960 desktop, the extra 2GB of RAM almost never helps, sa the card simply is almost never going to have the power to really make use of the extra memory in a sense. (if you were to max the game, the core would be too weak, so the extra RAM would not help) a mobile 960 is weaker, so 2GB is fine.

Solution

ikaz

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
it would be better if you also listed the price the 4GB should/could be better for gaming however you may run into other limitation before going over the 2GB limit. Depend on things like the resolution of the laptop monitor as well if your gaming on an external one.

crazytlingit

Commendable
Jul 27, 2016
There wouldn't be much difference at all, only maybe if you were going to run a multi screen setup. Personally I wasn't happy with the performance of my gtx 960 4 gb, you get much better value with a gtx 1060

Robert Cook

Honorable
Herald
Dec 15, 2014

this is true, with pascal coming into laptops full force, waiting a bit could be worthwhile.

lifespill

Estimable
Oct 25, 2015

Gaming wise invest on a laptop with atleast 980m or 1060m(about the same with the desktop version)anything bellow its just too weak for gaming.

Robert Cook

Honorable
Herald
Dec 15, 2014

As far as I know it is just the 1060. no M variants that I know of.

lifespill

Estimable
Oct 25, 2015

Its not called 1060m but its being used on laptops,its just the same as the desktop(with maybe some tweaks on the clocks for better temps) gtx 1060 laptop

Robert Cook

Honorable
Herald
Dec 15, 2014

yeah it is impressive that they have pulled that off this time around.

Melach

Estimable
Mar 8, 2014
Laptops with 980m or higher is too expensive for me, also I don't really play those heavy detailed graphic games. The games I usually play are stuff like LoL, CSGO, Smite and Overwatch, and I believe a gtx 960m is just enough for those? I also don't mind turning down the graphics if I have to, I can even do fine with lowest settings.. And the reason I'm not choosing a desktop computer is for several reasons, I don't really have space for it, new desktop computer would also mean getting a new desk. And I'm a student, I move around a lot, so I can't really carry a monster. So I don't see the reason why I should get a better graphic card. I'm aware I can get it way cheaper if I build my own gaming desktop, but by now you probably know why I'm going for laptop. And I chose those two laptops because they are pretty light as well, which puts me at a better advantage, they only weigh 5 pounds at max. But anyway, thanks for answers all especially for being quick. I suppose I'll go with the gtx 960m 2gb :)

DBQIamJC

Commendable
Sep 19, 2016
if you are comparing 960m 2gb with 960m 4gb, then just go for 970m as it is on the Maxwell 2 architecture and not as expensive budget wise.
960m is on the older Maxwell-1 and is significantly slower.