gtx 970m gaming laptop overclocking

ohiomike

Estimable
Jun 5, 2014
Hello i just recently purchased an msi gaming laptop equipped with the gtx 970m graphics card. And while im very satisfied with the performance and temps while under heave load, and gaming. I was wondering if its safe to overclock it. If so. What is an safe overclock for it. Thank you! I love this site.

Solution

Hey dude, what model msi did you get? If you got the msi gt72, you can actually overclock safely. The fan system is really good, similar to my g75, which I've overclocked for 3 years now, and it's still working beautifully, you just gotta do it slow and see where the limits are. I had my g75 at 23% over regular clocks...I recently got a g751 too with a 970m, 135+ on core, 240* on memory clock. Temps never get over
69C, when regular temps are like 67C....

ohiomike

Estimable
Jun 5, 2014
Hey guys thank you for your input. I'll refrain from overclocking then. not that its needed anyway. It runs any game i throw at it perfectly. Never dipping below 30 fps, on max/high settings.

Davejonnes

Estimable
Nov 24, 2014

Hey dude, what model msi did you get? If you got the msi gt72, you can actually overclock safely. The fan system is really good, similar to my g75, which I've overclocked for 3 years now, and it's still working beautifully, you just gotta do it slow and see where the limits are. I had my g75 at 23% over regular clocks...I recently got a g751 too with a 970m, 135+ on core, 240* on memory clock. Temps never get over
69C, when regular temps are like 67C....

Solution

ohiomike

Estimable
Jun 5, 2014

I have the GS60 Ghost Pro 3K 046 Gpu temps get as high as 75c during gaming. What overclock software do you use. All im familiar with is MSI Afterburner.

Davejonnes

Estimable
Nov 24, 2014

Hmm, the gs60 has a small case compared to computers like the gt72 and the asus g751, which means less space to breath.... Around 80C you are basically safe still, they say even at the 90C your GPU will still work, but I wouldn't recommend temps as high as that for sure... As far as software, it doesn't really make a difference, as they are all locked to the same limit on laptop gpus, unless you have a modded bios or alter the voltage(not commendable for laptops). But I use EVGA Precison, really down to preference though.

For your laptop since it's the smaller version, I'd try to push the clock little by little and use furmark to make sure the temps are not getting too high, and there is no artifacting. The best thing is really a repaste to keep temps down. But it's a brand new laptop, you will void the warranty if you do a repaste, and for now it's really not necessary... I'd say only do a repaste once you truly need it, when games down the road are not working as well as they did before...

ohiomike

Estimable
Jun 5, 2014

Thanks. I bought the laptop from xotic pc. I think if i turn into them, for a repaste its covered by msi's warranty, as they're affiliated with them.Once i do i'll attempt an moderate overclock. I love this laptop so much, i want to maximize its performance as much as i can. I had no idea so much power, could be squeezed into such a small amount of space.

SDEagle

Estimable
Dec 24, 2014

Awesome! Thanks for the inputs, as I've got the G751JT (GTX 970M) too. So, when you say 135+, is that 924+135, or 1038+135? Note that by default (without overclocking), GTX 970M boosts to 1038.

Also, can you please share before/after (overclocking) fps of any of the popular games, if you have already experimented?

Thanks again, and appreciate your response.