Guy Googles Self, Finds He's a Murder Suspect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
As opposed to sue-happy BS as I am, it does look like some real damage to this guy's reputation (e.g. employability) may have occurred, basically due to carelessness. It isn't a million dollar lawsuit, but $100K or so for lost opportunities seems not unreasonable.

jomofro39

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
I am hoping he will not sue. I say now that I would not sue because it was a mistake, but you can never perfectly judge your own reactions to a situation until you are placed in it, no matter the aforethought. Unless, you just do what you said you were going to do to prove that you always do what you say you would do. Like the people who get harassed because they find a lot of money and turn it in. I say good on them. Karma is a bitch, respect it. Let's see if this kid has a sense of humor about it or reacts like sodium on water and gets Polk County Sheriffs fired and pension-less. Suing has become so abundant that it has lost its edge of meaning, of wrong-doing. Similarly how such rampant rates of divorce have weakened the bond of marriage to a (now more often than not, temporary) title. Just IMHO.

WarraWarra

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
Damn and this will take the normal 7 years and $1m to complete and it will still be against his name as innocent as he is. Man I love our corrupt legal system.

He should go to his governor / senator as this might be the only way to slow this mistake down and then once fixed sue these idiots.

Best of luck mate and do not get on a airplane, train, ship ect. as you are guilty until proven innocent by all legal agency's and once inside the system you have no chance in hell of ever getting this fixed.

The same with settling on credit cards / medical outstanding credit even if you settle they label you as a "settle person" resulting in a bad mark against your credit score / high risk and stopping or limiting other credit card company's from giving you full service that you deserve.

Same with medical bills and settling either pay in full or force a non blacklist clause when settling or don't pay at all as only the non blacklist option gets you to recovery and out of trouble with a clean credit score.

jomofro39, in a perfect world your solutioin would be most excellent, however...

lets say that he tries to get a job in the future and someone googles his name - it doesnt matter if it was a mistake or not, it could cost him a job.

now lets say someone related to the case sees him in public and thinking he is the culprit decides to act? Not my idea of a perfect sunday afternoon.

What I feel should be done done is a televised fix showing the two and explaining who is who, a police order to retract and delete all said images and articles from the website relating to his name and lastly some sort of small "thank you" for not going to the lawyers. However, what will happen is most likely the opposite.

c0r3f1ght3r

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
um lawsuit anyone? I'm normally against the idea of suing, but seriously its not a mistake at this point, how many people had to of reviewed that information before it was put on the big screen. I'd be suing...

Fox88

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Same thing kind of happen to me accept it wasn't about being a murder suspect. I went and got a DMV record print out and found out i had 40 parking tickets, 2 speeding, a dui, and driving with out a license. Than on the record they change my vehical and my home address. Luckly my cousin is a lawyer looked into it. The guy lived in a different city but had same name and birth date. Only things different was he had a middle name and i don't. The crappy part i couldn't go to my local court system to get it removed, I had to take a 12hr drive to that city and and go to they're courts to get it removed.

Talked to one of the clerks at the courts who said people driving with out a license r asked to sign they're name and address on the ticket. The DMV couldn't find the right person so put they just put it on some1 whose close to age and close to the home address on the ticket. Asked if i could get a reimbursement on gas and the hotel pretty much got a middle finger in the face and a u better just be glad the judge approved to remove it off your DMV record.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]jomofro39[/nom]I am hoping he will not sue. I say now that I would not sue because it was a mistake, but you can never perfectly judge your own reactions to a situation until you are placed in it, no matter the aforethought. Unless, you just do what you said you were going to do to prove that you always do what you say you would do. Like the people who get harassed because they find a lot of money and turn it in. I say good on them. Karma is a bitch, respect it. Let's see if this kid has a sense of humor about it or reacts like sodium on water and gets Polk County Sheriffs fired and pension-less. Suing has become so abundant that it has lost its edge of meaning, of wrong-doing. Similarly how such rampant rates of divorce have weakened the bond of marriage to a (now more often than not, temporary) title. Just IMHO.[/citation]

You hope he "has a sense of humor about it"? Really? They released his picture in connection with a murder conviction. That isn't a harmless mistake, given that most people will remember only the first story (and, in all likelihood, won't even see the stories correcting it). That is a BIG deal, considering the potential long-term impact it could have on this kid's life. Why should he have to just grin and bear it under these circumstances? If the negligence of the Sheriff's Office on this does harm to the guy, he has every right to be compensated for it.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]jomofro39[/nom]I am hoping he will not sue. I say now that I would not sue because it was a mistake, but you can never perfectly judge your own reactions to a situation until you are placed in it, no matter the aforethought. Unless, you just do what you said you were going to do to prove that you always do what you say you would do. Like the people who get harassed because they find a lot of money and turn it in. I say good on them. Karma is a bitch, respect it. Let's see if this kid has a sense of humor about it or reacts like sodium on water and gets Polk County Sheriffs fired and pension-less. Suing has become so abundant that it has lost its edge of meaning, of wrong-doing. Similarly how such rampant rates of divorce have weakened the bond of marriage to a (now more often than not, temporary) title. Just IMHO.[/citation]

Most of the time even when police officers are blatantly corrupt and doing wrong they're just put on a paid suspension, so I don't think anyone's going to lose their pension or anything. Maybe they should though, since a simple mistake like this could result in major problems for an innocent person. When it comes to legal matters like this, it's the filing officer's responsibility to double check and make sure that EVERYTHING is correct.

And when it comes down to it, it's all because of a culture that's growing increasingly lazy and dependent on computer systems to do their thinking for them. Instead of physically checking him and turning that info over to the media, they just pull some things up in their computer system and press print. Making the work easier is all well and good, until someone typos or people share a name. Then one media outlet gets that information without any fact checking and publishes it. Then several other so-called media outlets simply copy the original, again without any fact checking, and spread it around. The once respectable profession of a reporter has turned into glorified copy/pasters.

chuenl

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
Can't we just use more unique names to reduce the odds?

People these days has no imagination and cannot come up with better names other than those that have been widely used by other thousands of people.

TemjinGold

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007

Seriously? Because there's so much suing going on you hope he won't sue? How would you like it if someone published on the news with YOUR photo that YOU were a convicted murderer? You do realize this means if the mistake isn't very publicly fixed, the kid is screwed for life out of no fault of his own, right? How much of a sense of humor would you have if you were forced to be unemployed and looked upon as scum for the rest of your life for no reason? If they fix it publicly and thoroughly, that's one thing. If they don't, I hope he DOES sue.

Status
Not open for further replies.