Hackers Demonstrate Unlocking Car Doors via SMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
This is why I keep my cars as old and off the grid as possible.
My newest car is a pristine 1994 Ford Thunderbird.
It gets great gas mileage and it pounds the puny Toyota's or the little punk's honda rice grinder right into the ground.

Keeping up with the joneses is sometimes not a good thing.

Pyree

Distinguished
So there was a hoax years back saying you can use the phone's signal to mimic car remote to open any car and now unlocking a car with you cellphone is a reality? Epic.

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
This is somewhat unrelated, but i still think about paul hogan whenever i read the word subaru. My first thought was he is going to need a safer place to store his hat.

But this vulnerability is almost as bad as the rfid sweep from a couple years ago, but i imagine in the case of onstar exploiting, it would be relatively easy to flag and cancel the request; thanks to the various hacking groups for bringing this type of information into the public view.

LongLiveRock1974

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]This is why I keep my cars as old and off the grid as possible.My newest car is a pristine 1994 Ford Thunderbird. It gets great gas mileage and it pounds the puny Toyota's or the little punk's honda rice grinder right into the ground.Keeping up with the joneses is sometimes not a good thing.[/citation]

You've kept your car for 17 years because you knew someday car security could be hacked via SMS? You're just a regular Nostradamus.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]This is why I keep my cars as old and off the grid as possible.My newest car is a pristine 1994 Ford Thunderbird. It gets great gas mileage and it pounds the puny Toyota's or the little punk's honda rice grinder right into the ground.Keeping up with the joneses is sometimes not a good thing.[/citation]
Good luck picking up girls in that ancient POS car

I'll take a hackable BMW any day, that's what insurance is for.

officeguy

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
[citation][nom]longliverock1974[/nom]You've kept your car for 17 years because you knew someday car security could be hacked via SMS? You're just a regular Nostradamus.[/citation]

LMAO, great comment :D

G

don't the need to know the phone number to be able to hack it?!

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I knew this day would come.
It was only a matter of time when I saw a comercial for a dude calling someone to remotely unlock his doors for him. Cars that can have any remote control of any kind is a bad idea.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]I knew this day would come.It was only a matter of time when I saw a comercial for a dude calling someone to remotely unlock his doors for him. Cars that can have any remote control of any kind is a bad idea.[/citation]
Now that I think of it I knew this would come even sooner when I saw a comercial with the car starting remotely using a phone app. That is when I KNEW these hacks would happen soon if not already.

G

who cares? there is a window next to my front door that can easily be broken somewhat quietly and you can be in my house in 5 seconds. honest people don't do these things and dishonest people do. it doesn't matter how many new ways there are to commit or stop crimes; there will always be crimes.

pollom

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Stupid but true over 2 years ago some friends and I opened a car chevrolet GM link with the system were the following steps.
1. seek the security module, remove the SIM card.
2. Connect the sim card to the computer, and verify Ki, LAI, SPN, SDN and VAS.
3.With the SIM into the computer, sending commands to open dors, etc, save the commands received.
4. Put simcard back into the security module.
5. Sent from a common cell codes. Result all GM link options.

The Israelis have better security systems and they do send a VPN over the Internet encrypted code.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]pollom[/nom]The Israelis have better security systems and they do send a VPN over the Internet encrypted code.[/citation]BINGO. What the hell is wrong with car manufacturers? Let's see... make a security network that is not secure. Sounds like something thrown together to make money on. Scumbag shit.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]BINGO. What the hell is wrong with car manufacturers? Let's see... make a security network that is not secure. Sounds like something thrown together to make money on. Scumbag shit.[/citation]

Constructive much? How long has OnStar been around, and it's just now being brought to light what can be done? If It took this long for someone to find out, I'd say they did a pretty good job. Now it's just time to update, and refine.. Not bash them like ignorant teenagers/children.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
This is why I keep my cars as old and off the grid as possible.
My newest car is a pristine 1994 Ford Thunderbird.
It gets great gas mileage and it pounds the puny Toyota's or the little punk's honda rice grinder right into the ground.

Keeping up with the joneses is sometimes not a good thing.

so you're POS mobile is safe and off the grid but i bet repairs every year cost 10 times more than what the car is worth. good thinking there LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.