Question about external multi HD cases.

Jan 20, 2022
Hello,

I have a somewhat difficult dilemma. Up until now, my disability didn't stop me from building my own PCs. Now, it's become too difficult, and I must rely on buying a "custom" built PC from a company. In the past, I always bought cases that supported 8 or more internal HD mount points.

These companies who claim to allow you to config your own PC to be built are only half true. For example, one company offers a Corsair 7000 Airflow case. If you buy that case anywhere on its own, you can mount 6 3.5/2.5 and 3 2.5 HDs within the case. If you configure a PC using this case, the company that will build it told me that there is no room to install the second "tray" that holds 3 3.5/2.5 drives. They say it's the same situation even if you don't opt for a cooling option that requires a coolant reservoir. Other companies have said the same thing about the cases they offer in their custom PC builds.

At this point, the only other option I have is to buy an external multi HD case (that supports 3 to 4 HDs. While I do use my system for gaming, my PC also controls my entire in-home automation system (opening doors. two overhead lift systems, etc... The software for all my accessibility needs requires a lot of HD space. It's not unlike having a complete server double as a gaming PC as well.

I've read forums everywhere looking for some sort of answer. They conflict with each other without really justifying their reasons sufficiently. Most compare SATA to USB 2 and/or 3. What about USB 3.2, ESATA, and other interfaces? While there might not be an external HD interface that matches internal interfaces, what external interface comes the closest to internal drive speeds? Also, will programs be able to launch from these external drives?

Thanks for your time.