Hackers Demonstrate Unlocking Car Doors via SMS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]scuba dave[/nom]Constructive much? How long has OnStar been around, and it's just now being brought to light what can be done? If It took this long for someone to find out, I'd say they did a pretty good job. Now it's just time to update, and refine.. Not bash them like ignorant teenagers/children.[/citation]Oh I'm sorry. Let's see... 50,000 dollars for a cadillac, OnStar and all the goodies. Opening the door with my cell phone and an sms text? Priceless. When your the one who has to deal with that scenario, maybe you'll think twice before defending this bullshit.

christop

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
All you need is the signal. I tried the open my car door with my cellphone and it worked. I had one set of key with the fob in my upstairs in my house.I called the person upstairs with my key and fog. I told him to push the unlock button over and over while I put my cell near the door. It unlocked my doors so I was like hey try the truck and it pop open. Kinda cool if you have 2 sets and lock one in the car. Just call home and hope some one is home then get then to unlock your car over cell phone call. Save money from not using a locksmith..

hawkwindeb

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Anyone watch the TV show NCIS? Season 7 Episode 17 aired March 9, 2010 called "Double Identity" which I recently saw the rerun. In this episode, McGee created an iPhone app to unlock car doors that just requires the entry of the VIN number into the app and will unlock the car doors which is faster than the slim-jim that DiNozzo suggests they use.

I know that it's TV but it's an old idea since this aired march of last year - just that it seems to be real now just a little different method

Rab1d-BDGR

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
Well I once had a car with haywire electrics - it would lock/unlock randomly every time you went over a bump in the road. I also could lock + unlock it by tapping the door panel. Sadly it never got stolen - I could have used the insurance to buy one that worked!

intelliclint

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
If a thief wants your car stereo or laptop in the back seat the tool they use is called a brick. The whole car is a different issue as just getting in the door is not enough, they have to over come the column lock and ignition.

This is just interesting cause it shows how little security they put into the OnStar and like systems protocols, which should be updated to include some sort of authenticated security.

AMD_pitbull

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
See, you can't really blame them for not having the security down. Hackers always have the advantage since they use exploits people don't know. Once it's brought to light, it can be fixed. If it's not fixed quick, THEN I blame them. But, either way, if you have On-Star and someone steals your car, call them and they find your car. If you're using a cell to send a signal like an SMS message, I'm sure it'll leave a trace too which would end up leading back to you. So, all-in-all, sounds like it may not be the best idea to try.

G

christop you are as ignorant as they come, but what's worse is you are spreading mis-information. first you called the person upstairs from you which in worst case scenario is about 30m away from your car, the FOB has enough range to be picked up by your car you moron. second the signal from the FOB wont modulate the frequency of the cellphone (between 800Mhz and 1900MHz depending on which system the cell phone uses). If you have no clue how signal transmission and reception works STFU

samsmith

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Software that lets drivers unlock car doors and even start their vehicles using a mobile phone could let car thieves do the very same things, according to computer security researchers at iSec Partners. Keep it up guys....

Buy cars online

Status
Not open for further replies.