Hackers Target Lockheed Martin with 'Significant Attack'

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Having lived through one of these attacks first hand (as an employee of a major DOD contactor) there is typically a strategic and directed initiative involved. There was tech or intel that was targeted, and these guys saved themselves about 500+ hours of work a piece by winning the cat and mouse game. I am no conspiracy theorist, but there are full time, paid employees funded by governments to get whatever these companies are working on. There are several examples of this, such as the one funded by the Chinese government not to long ago:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_Rain

http://justoneminute.typepad.com/main/2005/08/titan_rain_ii_t.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2007/sep/04/news.internet

It is unfortunate but true, and the accusations of these large companies having ties to, and fueling war is mostly true. Browse their career postings and look at the operations jobs, "linguist" jobs and other off shore positions available, and you will see. One or two Lockheed, L3 Communications, or other DOD supplier employee names that reach the desk of foreign intel officers via suedo governement assignments and you can see where the curiousity can lead to stories like this. Bottom line, we only know about 5% of the cause, and even less of the impact.

superbeast406

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Dude, think for a second; what coould any "terrorist" organization do with that type of info? Build a fighter jet out of sand and rocks? Gimme a break. The most they could do was sell this info to the highest bidder, but that in itself will not cause any major change in it's M.O. they could prolly buy another month worth of ammo.This incident also proves that there are no hackers involved; having the key to a door is not hacking, merely breaking an entering, and the blame goes entirely to the employee(s) that "lost" (read: sold) the said key.Using some logic before jumping into catastrophic conclusions would have saved countless lives; too bad that while the population increases, the overall amount of common sense remains the same.[/citation]
You are naive and uninformed, to begin with lockheed is involved in much more than building fighter jets, any information a terrorist could get from them would be dangerous.
Secondly its not just a key its a digitally encrypted key code that can be used for much more than just electronic door locks. "Those behind the Lockheed attack supposedly exploited the company’s VPN access system, which allows staff to log in remotely using RSA SecurID hardware fobs". The algorothim for the key code was stolen from the security company that created it, and used to gain access to the Lockheed network. So yes, it was a hacking attempt.

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]In recent news the U.S. special intelligence services report that China may be building an airplane similar to an SR-71 Blackbird, more after the break.[/citation]
Cheers, only 50+ years behind. They are attempting all of our X-planes. The Russians had a SR 71 type jet that was faster, but never made it past testing phase due to shoddy manufacturing. With new materials their version would probably be just fine. And its not the bird that makes it special anymore its the brains. The new jets we have are easy to spot with weather radars, as black spots. And the radars can see extremely small isolated pockets of wind shear, so a jet that is sending superheated exhaust (wind shear) lights up like a candle.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
[citation][nom]c1o5ry1991[/nom]What's with all the random cyber attacks all of a sudden...?[/citation]

What better way to keep feeding the trough..hell, some even seem to be suggesting some of these attacks are - due to the level of sophistication - inside jobs. Some have even said, who needs the WTC and Building 7 to conveniently vanish, when all you need to do is move to a secret location and press the magic button? By their very nature these attacks are perfect candidates for creating false flags and now, on the back of legislation, are perfect candidates for military attacks on nations and/or people that can barely afford to eat. All this takes, is to piss off the wrong people and hey presto there's even more money to be made out of misery and bloodshed.

..to which I replied, well, I'll try and keep an open mind and hope for the best.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Oh yes, and feel free - whoever you are - to vote down comments you don't agree with. Bring your army with you if you like, so you can vote them down with rat-like cunning. You're going to have your work cut out because this army you're up against - the free will and the free mind - is much bigger than yours.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
In my opinion this isn't reporting news - it's creating it, and for the purpose of justifying any future military action against anyone (and I mean anyone), deemed a threat to a specific set of interests. There never will be a solution to real problems just as long as there is profit to be made, and for the few. If the administration really did care about security then I reckon they wouldn't be fighting wars in someone else's country, they'd be defending this one and it's people. It's starts by properly addressing the needs and the wishes of those people, upholding the Constitution (I know, it's a very dirty word for some these days isn't it), and..plugging that cancerous growth known as the Mexican border issue.

These things of course, are less profitable than letting the United States and all her natural resources, go to hell in a hand basket for the sake of the globalists who seem hell-bent on destroying this country - including from within. This country is in the midst of a grave economic crisis, and yet these self-important clowns talk about security, and freedom like they invented it and like they are defending it..when in reality, look at the sodding mess they've created on our behalf and the mess they continue to create.

If we had a decent leadership in this country..we wouldn't have to worry about half the things we do overseas and we would also be in a better position to help our overseas neighbors instead of bombing the crap out of something or someone because we're led to believe it makes us better. Meanwhile our soldiers come back in bits and they're treated like crap by the powers that be who sent them their. That is, until the next bunch of young, eager recruits go off to fight yet another war, this time on the basis of hunch that 'we got hacked'. Jeeze if it came from the top it must be right, huh.

We are at war in this country, an information war.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]rebel1280[/nom]So then according to you, its OK for US info to be sold to the highest bidder? Let me correct you, the amount of common sense seems to be dwindling away. The kind of people who would buy this info is not "sand and rocks", I'm thinking some higher powers. (looking at you China o_0 )[/citation]
you missed the point totally....i was reffering to the security companies like cisco...and many others....they make crap security hardware....my comment had nothing to do with china or any other country....maybe you need a little bit of common sense

Status
Not open for further replies.