Hackers Target Lockheed Martin with 'Significant Attack'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Dude, think for a second; what coould any "terrorist" organization do with that type of info? Build a fighter jet out of sand and rocks? Gimme a break. The most they could do was sell this info to the highest bidder, but that in itself will not cause any major change in it's M.O. they could prolly buy another month worth of ammo.This incident also proves that there are no hackers involved; having the key to a door is not hacking, merely breaking an entering, and the blame goes entirely to the employee(s) that "lost" (read: sold) the said key.Using some logic before jumping into catastrophic conclusions would have saved countless lives; too bad that while the population increases, the overall amount of common sense remains the same.[/citation]

You should really read up on how inteligence is used. Here is a scanario that works.

If they got hold of the right information and found weaknessess in our defence networks, in our jet desings, or in any of the sensers that they make it can be explited. They can sell these secrets off to rogue states whe will in turn build up to take advantage of the weakness. americans die.

heres another one

they broke in, kept the plans, exploited the weakness themselves... and americans die.

heres another idea...

It was done by a foraing government, if they got the information they would then use it to exploit the infromation, and then americans will die.

I dont know about you, but I care about the lives of people who use this equipment. I do however know that alot of auto CAD is used in making aircraft, and electronics. THis information is not deleted when they finish making the product. Look on the military channel, and count up every single aircraft made by them, then try and figure out what sensers are also made by them. then tell me that we will be perfictly safe.

as for the second point that makes no sense eather, so basicaly your saying if someone beat the hell out of a guy who tried to rape the attempt never happened?

Just because no information was compramised dosent mean an effert was made, climb out of your whole and look at the real world. Truth is the military is consantly working on there security, just like some other companies should, the fact is Lockhead has also done this, and have worked on several black projects that required alot of security, The fact is Lockhead will always be targeted, and can tell when its out of the ordinary because they do have a security team worth there salt, And the final fact is you dont have a clew what kind of damage would of happened if they succeded, and have no idea how the internet works, or what your talking about.

No one brakes into a company on a large scale just to look around (and it has to be large, because all the small attacks are just dealt with and swept aside not shot on the news) the where looking for anything that would weaken our ability to defend ourselves.

but hay according to you such damage should only account to breaking an entering.

G

Is it just me, or does it seem like attacking the people who make MISSILES a BAD IDEA? Hacking Sony and exposing lack of security, thats OK, but stealing security materials and then using them to hack Lockheet Martin, BAD. Hope they send a missile through the window of whoever did it.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
[citation][nom]ThE_BrutE[/nom]... (also anyone else have a hard time posting here? It never loads correctly in IE, FF. The only browser I can use is O.)[/citation]

Agreed, but i don't see them fixing this anytime soon as they haven't even attempted in fixing the spammers that plague these forums. :( Like you a lot Toms, but your making it hard....

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Actually i retract my last comment, mine works in FF, try updating your FF. It, however, does not load in IE9 correctly. Can anyone confirm this?

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I have it working on IE and FF. Theres compatibility issues with the sight... I dont know which side the problems on, but i do know the fix I used :D

Use compatibility mode in IE9 its on the address bar, the icon that looks like a ripped up peace of paper. It will be blue when active. This is what worked for me maybe it will work for you.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
WOW! I think we hit the Cointelpro jackpot right here on Tom's comments!

Lockheed Martin = very involved with black projects. Would not be surprised at all if they would engage in story telling and or fabrications to help their "friends" achieve some aim or another. Happens all the time.

I noticed that some folks were very determined to hide my previous post about what

President Eisenhower said.... BEWARE OF THE MILITARY INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX

Google his speech and LEARN the truth.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
ISRAEL is a notable point of origin for such attacks as well, but the US controlled coroprate media will never tell the general public this.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]legacy7955[/nom]WOW! I think we hit the Cointelpro jackpot right here on Tom's comments!Lockheed Martin = very involved with black projects. Would not be surprised at all if they would engage in story telling and or fabrications to help their "friends" achieve some aim or another. Happens all the time. I noticed that some folks were very determined to hide my previous post about what President Eisenhower said.... BEWARE OF THE MILITARY INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX Google his speech and LEARN the truth.[/citation]

Your going to have to give more then that to make sense man. This is about a cyber attack, and yo ustill havent provided a good reason why they would lie about this... If that is what your trying to say.

Cyber attacks happen agains the military all the time, most dont didnt do anything, this had to be pritty big if they placed it on the news, they wold need evidence of the attack, evidence of logs by foraing threats, evidence of MAC addresses that dont match up to proper users, and they would of had to make another company release a security key that could be used by other contracters in order to what? Make it look like they got hacked?

Your going to have to give more then a speach from the 60s to prove that this attack was fabricated for malisious means. And if you do find this proof, good for you. Youll be a millionar since the company will have to pay you off, or you can take them to court for false documentation.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]I think hackers that hack to steal private data, such as your own if its there, should be considered criminals. And especially if they steal military grade secrets. If terrorists got their hands on the technology we have, like the JSAF, they could easily over throw countries and kill thousands of innocent people.Network security is extremley important in this day and age. People rely on multiple ways to utilize their money and that should never be compromised due to price. Same with the people who work to develop the tools necessary to ensure our freedoms. Imagine if a radical group got the names and addresses for our military people and their families. Imagine if someone in your family was targeted because they serve. If either of my brothers or cousins, who are all serving, got killed due to that I would want vengance.[/citation]

the government could publish the all of the details on the military technology and the terrorist would never be able to use it.

you have to understand that terrorist aren't the brightest people, also the production process for many modern weapons require facilities that the terrorist cant really develop.

and if the US were to simply get out of every other country and stop bothering other countries, then there would be no terrorist trying to attack the US

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
@razor....

Exactly.

Now who CAN use those details?...the same ones that created them. FALSE FLAG TERRORISM.

Check out "Operation Northwoods"...documented declassified details..google it.

G

This is getting scary. Obviously the top computer engineers, hackers, and programmers are living in countries outside of North America. Places like China, Russia, India, Pakistan, and many others are leading the way. Boo to the USA for not recruiting top hackers.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
the difference between an american multi billion dollar defense company dealing in classified hardware and secrets and some chumps pretending to be the IRS with a japanese home entertainment corporation.
go ahead hackers, hack the people who built the satellites your attempting to hack with. p.s. don't forget about the microwave transmitters capable of vaporizing you, your computer, and your home to a molecular level, the patriot act and the next generation stuff you don't even know they're holding up their sleeves until 30 years after it's made public.

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
Lockheed Martin is stating that hackers managed to get past one level of security, not a big deal. Time for longer passwords, someone pass on the memo.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
It's not like they'd get any design information that hasn't already been sold to China or routed through Tel Aviv to the highest bidder.

G

Lockheed and Martin suffer attempts to hack them all the time, as do alot of prominent companies, what you need to ask is why is this time so important that its all over the media?

Anyone who knows anything about IT Security knows that L&M simply won't have classified sensitive Data available to anyone on the Internet, these designs are done on secure isolated mainframes via thin clients that have no rights to do anything other than work, no USB ports to steal information even! and everything... i mean EVERYTHING is logged... I imagine the server room would probably be about as secure as a nuclear missile launch code also... Its really not that hard to do...

That legacy bloke MAY have his tin hat on a bit too tight... But those of you who think this isn't being touted by media all of a sudden because the government is at this very moment trying to pass new laws regarding internet security because they have recently come to a concensus at the G8 summit in france are even worse. Actually did anyone see this article?

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/usa-cyber-attack-strategy-cyber-defense-act-of-war-cyber-security,news-11365.html

This kind of thing happens ALL the time and has done throughout history.

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.” - Martin Luther King jr.

azrealhk

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Dear Mr President,
I believe it is the right time to set up Net Force. I am sure Mr Clancy would help in the capacity as consultant. Might I also suggest Scott Bakula as head, since he does have the experience, and needs a career change.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
In recent news the U.S. special intelligence services report that China may be building an airplane similar to an SR-71 Blackbird, more after the break.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Tom's Guide- this is going to far, 7 spam comments on one page is rediculous. Tom's Hardware seems to have fixed the problem- talk to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.