Hacking Spree Continues: Apple's Dev Site, Ubuntu Forums Hit

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
i understand hackers hacking apple and other corporations like them, but why ubuntu forums? I kind of see it as a taboo to hack a linux website, being one of the forum for the most hardcore developers and hackers to hang around. linux community isnt one youd want to piss off.

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
@Otacon: Dullard should be a word you use against anyone else seeing as how you're on the cutting edge or stupidity and always innovate ways to be a moron.
Linux is not an OS, a Forum is not an OS either. It is a Kernel.
If you can't fathom people breaking laws then the concept of police officers must really blow your unsophisticated mind.

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
@Otacon: Dullard should be a word you use against anyone else seeing as how you're on the cutting edge or stupidity and always innovate ways to be a moron.
Linux is not an OS, a Forum is not an OS either. It is a Kernel.
If you can't fathom people breaking laws then the concept of police officers must really blow your unsophisticated mind.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Here is one thing that caught my eye:

"While the passwords were not stored in plain text, good practice dictates that users should assume the passwords have been accessed and change them," she said. "If users used the same password on other services they should immediately change that password."

It's been said the password are encrypted using a HASH method. If they didn't SALT the HASH then yes you would need to change the password on other websites that you use the same password.

Had they SALT'd the passwords then it's not big of a deal. I know how it works with SALT. It's just a random info that gets mixed in with HASH making it impossible to reverse it.

Pretty stupid if they didn't do this.

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
The guy that messed with the ubuntu forums, All I can say is, you've probably just stirred up a hornet's nest.....

Just like how Japan had "awaken the sleeping giant" in WWII....

funguseater

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Oh wait, the Apple guy had notified Apple he was testing the integrity of the system and notified them BEFORE attempting, they then shuttered the site 4 hours later. Not a hacker attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.