Hacktivist 'Jester' Took Down LulzSec, Anonymous Sites

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]kilo_17[/nom]This is hilarious, these hacker groups got stung by ONE guy![/citation]

yep. this makes them sound more and more like script kiddies who just stumbled on one way to hack websites. i guess they didn't know how to protect there own websites, it would be iceing on the cake if he took down there IRC server too.

G

Yo, Jeffrey... lay off the Jester. He's doing good work. Why so judgmental? In that "I feel cheated by the powers that be" world of yours.... you just may need the Jester some day.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]RazberyBandit[/nom]By that do you mean to say people over 30 don't use "leet-speak" or any other form of internet slang? What a bunch of crap. Such slang has been around for 15+ years, so unless it was started by some elementary school child, the original users are well over 30 years old.[/citation]

but leet-speak does sound it was created by a bunch of 5 year olds LOL

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
of course there taken down by one guy

you could shutdown most of the countries internet if you took out power to about 10 places

anyway irc isnt the most reliable and its how they comunicate with members so of course there easy to stop

G

Jester is the man! I follow his tweets everyday, because watching these rotten brats crumble does my old heart good. Anarchistic, irresponsible, liberal, partisan, cowards cry like babies when their demigods turn out to be nosepickers.
Go jester, the silent majority loves what you're doing!

AMD_pitbull

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]Jeffrey Correct[/nom]"The Jester, or rather th3j35t3r, deems himself as a "hacktivist for good" and "obstructing the lines of communication for terrorists, sympathizers, fixers, facilitators, and other general bad guys." LOL. Yes, running interference for corporatist criminals by way of DDOS is being "good."At a time when the middle class is just being destroyed by a handfull of super criminals, at a time when these super criminals have corrupted our polticial process to the point that they have a strangle-hold on our entire "democracy", we need more jesters.My take, jester is a reactionary, does not have a clue about what is happening on the ground today-- i mean less than grade school education-- is a steaming pile of hypocracy, and is a corporatist tool.Hey Jester, hate to tell you this sonny, but the pen is mighter than the DDOS sword. You drew me in.[/citation]
Agreed 100%. Propaganda is gonna be the thing to win this war, and trying to hype this guy up to make him seem like the "almighty saviour"...well, that's a little lame. I saw that movie a few years ago, don't need another rerun. What I would LOVE to see is some of the CEO's from some of these companies being held accountable instead of just taking down a site, or trying to coax another party in to doing your dirty work *cough*FBI?*cough*

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]kilo_17[/nom]This is hilarious, these hacker groups got stung by ONE guy![/citation]

you forgot one thing. this smiley. [:badge:3]

but yes, 1 guy taking down multiple groups is hilarious. [:badge:3]

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]flaminggerbil[/nom]Meh, internet warriors. All as bad as each other.Whilst they could spend their time hacking something worthwhile instead they focus on stealing data from gaming companies and DoS'ing sites (biggest waste of time ever).For example, the fuck is the point in trying to bring down the site of WBC, it's not like they recruit members or do anything through it. They're little more then a family of trolls with lawyers anyway.[/citation]

your right about that, although it might be due to (if ture) his military association that, which WBC hates the military, may of provoked him to take down there site. Only connection im seeing.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
While I believe this man truly believes and thinks hes in the right I do believe he is mistaken.
Not that Anon or Lulzsec are always in the right either. (In-fact I don't think I have ever agreed with Lulzsec)

Here is a example of his flawed logic.

One of The Jester's first public stunts involved a DoS attack against wikileaks.org back in 2010. He said that the site was harming U.S. troops by releasing diplomatic cables and footage from Afghanistan.

The diplomatic cables, sure I can actually see that being a risk factor. Not just for US troops either. Lets say terrorists are hiding on the Afghanistan and Uzbekistan border. Talking to Uzbekistan before conducting a attack is the right thing to do. However this must be done in secret otherwise either the attack will fail or if its found out after it gives terrorists people to target and intimidate to no longer to work with us.

However when it comes to the videos that leak out this is entirely the fault of those who do the objectionable actions. To blame the ones that leak or make it public knowledge is absurd.
We have bad apples in our military, sometimes evil deeds are done by those who wear our uniform. I understand one of the main recruiting and source of public respect to our military is the idea that all men and women who serve are heroic and righteous people but that is nothing more than a lie. We should not try to hide away these facts, we should expose it.
If we hide it and ignore it that makes us just as guilty as the criminals that committed the acts
and certainly no better than the terrorists we fight.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]RazberyBandit[/nom]By that do you mean to say people over 30 don't use "leet-speak" or any other form of internet slang? What a bunch of crap. Such slang has been around for 15+ years, so unless it was started by some elementary school child, the original users are well over 30 years old.[/citation]

No, I mean to say anyone with the intelligence of a high school graduate doesn't use "l33t sp3k" when they want to sound like they know anything. It has nothing to do with physical age, plenty of 40 year olds didn't graduate. What kind of slob can't even type two extra letters?

[citation][nom]Saint Stephen[/nom]Jester is the man! I follow his tweets everyday, because watching these rotten brats crumble does my old heart good. Anarchistic, irresponsible, liberal, partisan, cowards cry like babies when their demigods turn out to be nosepickers.Go jester, the silent majority loves what you're doing![/citation]

So I notice you use "liberal" as if it's something you find derogatory. then immediately follow it by using "partisan" as if it's also insulting. By considering liberals to be lesser, you are yourself partisan. If you're going to parrot the words you heard off Fox News, you should probably learn what they mean first. I also don't know how you'd speak for the "silent majority" when you yourself are not silent.

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009

I doubt it was just one guy.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
so far, every one of lulzsec targets had a reason to be targeted.

the paranoid will be up in arms about "they sole my name and s***" but it realy doesn't matter because most of that if not all, information was freely available in the phonebook, or online face book or most online profiles

if anything their security will be forced to be better.

and thats the worst of what they did on an it effects the consumers side.

Chadh25

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
Actually what I find funny is that people actually people that this Jester Character Actually did it. It amazes me on a daily basis on how Gullible People are to believe that 1 man stands and fights for the army? This guy isn't an army of one. More than Likely this is some publicity stunt for headline coverage to make Anon poke their head out and make a mistake... It doesn't take a Genius to call Twitter and have an account turned off based on the notion that it's a possible national security threat... Give the right names and the right Credentials and voila... account deactivated just cause... Better safe than sorry.... This Jester Character is just a Front man tool. If twitter had any common respect for themselves they would file a lawsuit against this jester for Espionage and throw him in jail considering the fact that he did admit he did it

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]While I believe this man truly believes and thinks hes in the right I do believe he is mistaken. Not that Anon or Lulzsec are always in the right either. (In-fact I don't think I have ever agreed with Lulzsec)Here is a example of his flawed logic. The diplomatic cables, sure I can actually see that being a risk factor. Not just for US troops either. Lets say terrorists are hiding on the Afghanistan and Uzbekistan border. Talking to Uzbekistan before conducting a attack is the right thing to do. However this must be done in secret otherwise either the attack will fail or if its found out after it gives terrorists people to target and intimidate to no longer to work with us.However when it comes to the videos that leak out this is entirely the fault of those who do the objectionable actions. To blame the ones that leak or make it public knowledge is absurd. We have bad apples in our military, sometimes evil deeds are done by those who wear our uniform. I understand one of the main recruiting and source of public respect to our military is the idea that all men and women who serve are heroic and righteous people but that is nothing more than a lie. We should not try to hide away these facts, we should expose it.If we hide it and ignore it that makes us just as guilty as the criminals that committed the actsand certainly no better than the terrorists we fight.[/citation]

I'd also like to point out a flaw in your logic as well. It's very naive to assume that any military in the world can conduct a war devoid of noncombatant casualties and collateral damage. Sites like wikileaks don't take this into account. They think if they just publicize everything, then they can have a squeaky clean war or somehow make enough waves to convince people to pull out (which might be both premature and harmful to that region). The fact is that we are at war, and terrible things are bound to happen. If they wanted to make a real change, they'd start from the inside and work out. Shine the light on corrupt politicians and help replace them with competent ones who will work towards a foreign policy that doesn't bring us to war in the first place.

At the very least, nothing good can come from releasing critical information that will benefit terrorists and cost the lives of our allied soldiers. Jester's position in that matter makes perfect sense, and I support it. If wikileaks can continue what they do without putting lives at risk, then I can support their cause... but right now that isn't the case.

TheWhiteRose000

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
Far as I'm concerned about the US and Military, The Military Dogs are trained to bark / attack at there Masters command, the US government being the master in this sense.

A lot of people think it's a good idea joining the Military cause of the benefits, the US knows if there is war there is a good number of people not coming back so they don't got to pay up.

The leftovers are brainwashed into believing they are fighting for something just and righteous cause they think America is so great.

G

- Hey Brain, what are we going to do tonight?
- The same thing we do every night Pinky: we conquer the internet!!!

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]TheWhiteRose000[/nom]Far as I'm concerned about the US and Military, The Military Dogs are trained to bark / attack at there Masters command, the US government being the master in this sense.A lot of people think it's a good idea joining the Military cause of the benefits, the US knows if there is war there is a good number of people not coming back so they don't got to pay up.The leftovers are brainwashed into believing they are fighting for something just and righteous cause they think America is so great.[/citation]

your really out of touch with almost any military.....

Far as I'm concerned about the US and Military, The Military Dogs are trained to bark / attack at there Masters command, the US government being the master in this sense.

Well you better move to mars or something as this has been case for a long as there been any type of civilization in history. Including us on the very first day we decided that we wanted to separate from England.

A lot of people think it's a good idea joining the Military cause of the benefits, the US knows if there is war there is a good number of people not coming back so they don't got to pay up.

while you maybe right there there not a good number of people coming back from a war but there far more people joining the military than being lost. Heck, Parris Island over here just build more and larger barracks to handle the increase of Marines recruits.

And with saying that, in the current Iraq war alone, there been lost of soliders in the neighborhood of about 5K to 10K. Hate to say it but im sure that sure that more people joined than were lost. So much for the gov not having to pay up.

The leftovers are brainwashed into believing they are fighting for something just and righteous cause they think America is so great.

So must of forgot why where in 2 of the 3 current battles. Dont know about you but from most people (out of the nation), it didn't take very much convincing to go after the ones behind these attacks.

And no, most dont think america so great. There issues with it just like any other country (like the debt crisis). What make a country great is them, the soldiers. It what allowed us to be a country.

And also, there more to it than people wanting to fight for your country. What happens if you had families that died the 9/11 attacks. Some of them may of join the military to go after the person that killed them. There not brainwash.

Status
Not open for further replies.