Hacktivist 'Jester' Took Down LulzSec, Anonymous Sites

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

"One of The Jester's first public stunts involved a DoS attack against wikileaks.org back in 2010. He said that the site was harming U.S. troops by releasing diplomatic cables and footage from Afghanistan."

Notably, despite Jesters attempt to silence and censor Wikileaks, Wikileaks was largely responsible for overturning dictators in Tanzania and Egypt. If Jester was successful, those people would still be living in dictatorships. How often does the world change like this?

Moreover, in virtually every instance a journalist has exposed corporate or governmental corruption over the last two years, Wikileaks was cited as the source. None of that corruption would have been exposed if Jester had his way.

Jester is a hacker for a corrupt establishment. And he is now rearing his head at a time that the corruption in the United States has reached such a crescendo it is now a serious existential threat to our remaining "democracy."

Jester hates democracy and, as a criminal himself, loves Super criminals.

Have fun voting my comment down Jester with your puppet accounts. But you will not silence me either. You are a criminal and a tool.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]flaminggerbil[/nom]Meh, internet warriors. All as bad as each other.Whilst they could spend their time hacking something worthwhile instead they focus on stealing data from gaming companies and DoS'ing sites (biggest waste of time ever).For example, the fuck is the point in trying to bring down the site of WBC, it's not like they recruit members or do anything through it. They're little more then a family of trolls with lawyers anyway.[/citation]
everyone hates them, doesnt matter if they dont hack or recruit there, any pain in the ass for them makes me feel good.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]While I believe this man truly believes and thinks hes in the right I do believe he is mistaken. Not that Anon or Lulzsec are always in the right either. (In-fact I don't think I have ever agreed with Lulzsec)Here is a example of his flawed logic. The diplomatic cables, sure I can actually see that being a risk factor. Not just for US troops either. Lets say terrorists are hiding on the Afghanistan and Uzbekistan border. Talking to Uzbekistan before conducting a attack is the right thing to do. However this must be done in secret otherwise either the attack will fail or if its found out after it gives terrorists people to target and intimidate to no longer to work with us.However when it comes to the videos that leak out this is entirely the fault of those who do the objectionable actions. To blame the ones that leak or make it public knowledge is absurd. We have bad apples in our military, sometimes evil deeds are done by those who wear our uniform. I understand one of the main recruiting and source of public respect to our military is the idea that all men and women who serve are heroic and righteous people but that is nothing more than a lie. We should not try to hide away these facts, we should expose it.If we hide it and ignore it that makes us just as guilty as the criminals that committed the actsand certainly no better than the terrorists we fight.[/citation]
So your saying releasing that info is not illegal therefore not punishable? ...I'm pretty sure its illegal and so punishable.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Bringing down lulzsec = lol
Bringing down Anon = partly amused / partly annoyed (they do some good things at times)
Bringing down WikiLeaks = Oh no you didn't (does this guy not like openness and freedom of information in government? Does he have any idea how useful WikiLeaks has been for our nation as well as the common person in any nation?)

G

""One of The Jester's first public stunts involved a DoS attack against wikileaks.org back in 2010. He said that the site was harming U.S. troops by releasing diplomatic cables and footage from Afghanistan."

Notably, despite Jesters attempt to silence and censor Wikileaks, Wikileaks was largely responsible for overturning dictators in Tanzania and Egypt. If Jester was successful, those people would still be living in dictatorships. How often does the world change like this?

Moreover, in virtually every instance a journalist has exposed corporate or governmental corruption over the last two years, Wikileaks was cited as the source. None of that corruption would have been exposed if Jester had his way.

Jester is a hacker for a corrupt establishment. And he is now rearing his head at a time that the corruption in the United States has reached such a crescendo it is now a serious existential threat to our remaining "democracy."

Jester hates democracy and, as a criminal himself, loves Super criminals.

Have fun voting my comment down Jester with your puppet accounts. But you will not silence me either. You are a criminal and a tool."

This^^^^

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Not sure that 'The Jester' is any better than Anonymous or LulzSec, he (or she or they) just has different beliefs. I don't support his attacking of wikileaks for example. If it wasn't for the westboro hack, I'd say that 'he' is actually a group run by the US gov't.

G

Get your facts straight. Lulzsecurity.com was not taken down by jester, and when he was confronted about this, he simply ignored the fact.

Their website was simply put down because they didn't plan for their VPS plan.

Jester takes credit for a lot of websites he doesn't really take down, it's the silly journalists/bloggers that follow whatever information they read first.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]I'd also like to point out a flaw in your logic as well. It's very naive to assume that any military in the world can conduct a war devoid of noncombatant casualties and collateral damage. Sites like wikileaks don't take this into account. They think if they just publicize everything, then they can have a squeaky clean war or somehow make enough waves to convince people to pull out (which might be both premature and harmful to that region). The fact is that we are at war, and terrible things are bound to happen. If they wanted to make a real change, they'd start from the inside and work out. Shine the light on corrupt politicians and help replace them with competent ones who will work towards a foreign policy that doesn't bring us to war in the first place.At the very least, nothing good can come from releasing critical information that will benefit terrorists and cost the lives of our allied soldiers. Jester's position in that matter makes perfect sense, and I support it. If wikileaks can continue what they do without putting lives at risk, then I can support their cause... but right now that isn't the case.[/citation]

Of course unfortunate acts will happen in war and those who were meant no harm will sometimes be harmed. However there is no reason to hide that these acts happen.
Nor does it hide the fact that it happened by the public in the area is occurred the only censorship that they try to enforce on such errors is only for PR purposes back home.
Coming clean and admitting errors will not cause any risk to anyone if anything it would lesson
it as it would be seen as such instead of doing the despicable act of hiding it.

Even worse however is that we currently try to hide acts purposefully done by some bad apples.
I'm not talking about small things either, despicable things. Things that there are no excuses for. We try to cover these up and again the people of the area know these acts are going on
they live it or witness it. We simply do not wish the news to make it back home.

The people who report this or if it happens to leak by a whistle-blower are not to blame for any anger this causes towards our military force. The people who are to blame are those who did the actions. If we were open about it and showed we hold no tolerance for such actions
this would be a way to defuse growing hostilities and terrorist recruitment in the area as its mostly young men who have reason to be angry at us who are most likely going to raise arms against us.

But this current attitude that those who report what is happening or those who tell the story is the enemy is absurd. You wouldn't apply this logic to anything else. In-fact likely in any other case the person who did such would be as seen as a type of hero. This special pleading to treat this one issue differently is not only wrong but it needs to stop.

G

i know who lulzsec and perhaps the jester is
lulzsec is based in las cruces nm
and i beleive the jester is a professor at state (great cover)
he gave lulzsec there power and things got out of hand
but they both lose when there identities come out so that wont happen 1 rule
the prof is a self described computer genius (connected 7 different types of code for surveying instruments and acted like it was a joke)
I watched the kids draw the monacled guy, my ex neighbor has/had the 50s advertisement hanging on his wall, and its not the peanut guy its a guy holding a glass of wine
and every holloween there are several dorks (electrical engineers) who take the Vendetta guy way too serious (long hair no talking and refuse to take off mask)
I am trying in vain to get pigs involved because i know they are perverted voyeurers (spellcheck) but have no luck
there are several cases of people going to court (ask officer Mc Cord LCPD) for the reasons above, but they dont want to acknowledge me because or the cases because frankly it might be too big and cruces will suffer
please give jeanette green of the fbi or Mccord a call to confirm
ryan summers

Status
Not open for further replies.