Hands-on: 'Dark Souls II'

Status
Not open for further replies.

slomo4sho

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
Not sure why they decided to call this Dark Souls II since Dark Souls was the 2nd installment in the Demon Souls series...

Adrianime

Honorable
May 29, 2013
@slomo4sho

Dark Souls was not the second installment of Demon Souls. Dark souls was a relative of demon souls, or "spiritual successor" as they like to call it. The two storylines and worlds had nothing in common. Calling this Dark Souls II indicates that it will have either a storyline connected to Dark Souls, or it will be in the same "universe" (i.e. focus on the undead).

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
@slomo4sho
rights issues, dark souls would have been demon souls 2, but because of rights to the name they changed it... at least thats my understanding
@JJ1217
the game is being deved on the pc, and ported to consoles if what i am told is correct, so yea, play it on the console at 720p if you want. the reason the pc was restricted was because of the way that animation was tied to the frame rate, a method to increase performance on the console, modders had to fix this because it was in all honestly only ported to the pc with a minimal budget because of a petition.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
i just went to that link, the best zombie games of all time...

The House of the Dead - got to love the old light gun games
Dead Rising 2 - cant play it because of controls, just won't deal with it, it is one of 3 games i regret getting
Dead Island - pc glitches make it impossible to play, another of the 3 games i regret getting, here take a look at them on youtube, Uz1yLaHGmeI this is a webcam one, i didn't have recording ability at the time, here is a better one i made just as riptide was comeing out just to make sure it was still bad OFeoVlzLsz0
Call of Duty: Black Ops - a fun mode
Zombies Ate My Neighbors - this is my number 1
The Walking Dead - havent played it, but from what i know of the walking dead, its less a zombie game and more a setting with zombies in it... im not sure how much of distinction that is.

Resident Evil 4 - NOT A ZOMBIE GAME AT ALL

Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare - not really a zombie game but a dlc to ad a zombie campaign
Plants vs. Zombies - a casual zombie game, but a good one.
Left 4 Dead - and another game i regret getting, all 3 on the list WOOT. what i hate about this is i didn't have xbox live (at the time, only had a console and a oc that couldn't handle l4d) so i had to play with ai, and the thing is, this game feels like cod campaign, its really hard to tell if anything i do matters.

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Actually i just cheked it on steam:
Microsoft Xbox 360® Controller for Windows® (or equivalent) is strongly recommended.

Scrach that, my interest in this game series has dropped into low levels.

ibjeepr

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
I picked this up from Steam during the sale because it was cheap and I heard such good things about it. I'm hooked. I love the way it feels like a straight up D&D experience. I like that the combat is based on cautious maneuvering and timing, 1 v 1 or a few at most instead of arcade like combat in Diablo 3 or Torchlight. Death comes easily and frequently yet if you play smart and well, you can prove you don't need to die all the time. It's an overall great gaming experience that is only blemished by the poor port. Yet even most of the drawbacks of the port to PC can be overcome with a couple fixes, some tweaking and practice. I play with a keyboard and mouse and while I die at times due to the camera or controls, I've got it to the point where it isn't much different than any other PC based game. Dark Souls 2 should rectify these issues and I can't wait. To anyone looking for a more old school RPG experience, I highly recommend trying it and being patient while you get used to it. All the info you need to play is easily found online.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
I suggest you guys read the reviews of the game before buying. The game is a very shabby port, the game basically requires a community made patch called DSfix which is very easily installed and configured to one's likings, to basically meet the standard graphical requirements we're used to. The game is locked to 30fps but can be unlocked in the fix but it's not recommended in the fix due to animation anomalies occurring. If you can get past those tiny inconveniences you will find one of the most unique and satisfying game in the last years! This game is one of the few that will truly test your skill as a player, it's not an automated walk in the park like every game these days and its definitely not a hack and slash, you have to use your wits in every boss battle and get used to dying. That's right, the key to this game is learning from your deaths. The gameplay is simple but hard to master, the incorporated multiplayer is nothing but brilliant, the level design is breathtaking and the musical score is often more scary than the monsters you're fighting, I recommend setting it higher than the game sounds to truly be immersed in it.

Like the reviews state, do no let the few inconveniences of a standard port deprive you of one of the best gameplay experiences in recent years.

P.S. Xbox 360 gamepad extremely recommended!

Status
Not open for further replies.