Hands-on with Sony's New Google TV Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

festerovic

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
I always wondered why they didn't have this when the TVs all started to go smart. Seems smarter to have the brains in a separate box, so you don't have to upgrade the TV to get new features.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
I've been wanting to get a stand-alone box like this or a Roku or the new Nexus media center - however, I'm having a hard time justifying it over an HTPC (friend has an ION HTPC which he says works well) that would be slightly more expensive (especially when I throw in the remote), but will be able to do more.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
[citation][nom]cscott_it[/nom]I've been wanting to get a stand-alone box like this or a Roku or the new Nexus media center - however, I'm having a hard time justifying it over an HTPC (friend has an ION HTPC which he says works well) that would be slightly more expensive (especially when I throw in the remote), but will be able to do more.[/citation]

It depends what you want to do with with the box if you want games roku is better if you want to play and organize your movies and tv show library and watch netflix boxee box is better, if you want lots of apps google tv is best.

Chances are they will block the new google tv like they did with the old one so far i get all tv channels on my boxee box and it has an optional tv tuner.

Its kind of hard to pick an htpc put it in bag and bring it over to a friends place and watch movies standalone boxes are much smaller.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
[citation][nom]festerovic[/nom]I always wondered why they didn't have this when the TVs all started to go smart. Seems smarter to have the brains in a separate box, so you don't have to upgrade the TV to get new features.[/citation]

Logitech google tv STB and sony bluray google tv STB both came out October 2010 so it was close enough IMO.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
[citation][nom]Paul Siu[/nom]The problem is Vizio has a competing product for $99.[/citation]

Logitech Google TV boxes sell for the same $99. Some roku boxes have an even lower price.

jjb01

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
I have the prior version of the Sony's Google TV set top for over a year. This one still has the same problems, no Over The Air support and likely content blocked by the networks. Until antenna input is part of the picture this can unfortunately be a niche player only.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
[citation][nom]jjb01[/nom]I have the prior version of the Sony's Google TV set top for over a year. This one still has the same problems, no Over The Air support and likely content blocked by the networks. Until antenna input is part of the picture this can unfortunately be a niche player only.[/citation]

Please clarify "Over The Air" support. If you mean playing a video hosted on my phone to the screen with no wire, yes, it is native on android, and with an app, possible on iPhones.

Blocked content happens on our phones too (I assume you mean hulu?) and not many other boxes or tvs offer an internet browser with flash support so...

Antenna? Like the one I have hooked to my Google TV for picking up digital local channels?

Status
Not open for further replies.