Solved! Hard Drive Inaccessible

Calaster

Honorable
May 15, 2016
Hi! So before anyone asks, ive scoured through the forums searching for something similar but can't find a problem exactly like this one (or I didn't look hard enough.)

So all of a sudden upon booting up the computer, my computer is recognizing my hard drive but..it's not? So it says free space available and shows the space in use which is correct. But when i try and access the drive it says its inaccessible. My first thought was a sata cable came undone. Wasnt the case. I tried to run a chkdsk but it claims the drive is RAW not NTFS. That peaked my curiosity. So i check the disk management, and in disk management...it says its healthy and NTFS. Weird right? Tried different sata cables as well. No dice.

Additional weird details that came up while restarting a few times. Sometimes the pc wont POST properly. I have colocated this issue with that drive because i never get that issue if i disconnect the drive. Lastly, sometimes i can get the drive to read...kind of. I can access a few folders and files. But then some folders it says "not accessible". As if i have access to portions of the drive.

Last tidbit of info, i tried changing ownership and permissions for the drive. No dice. Gives me like failed to emurate or somethin?

I apologize if this isnt formatted correctly. I don't typically post. Usually the users here have problems similar to mine so i just lurk, rather then post

Solution
If it's booting, it's recognizing some disk. Do you have multiple drives? HDD or SDD? A data partition that is separate from the boot partition? You can investigate further by running diskpart in an administrative cmd window. USE THIS WITH GREAT CARE. You can figure it out using the built in help but it is very easy to DESTROY a partition. Be very careful with specifying which drive as it uses numbers. Once you select a drive, you can look at drive information and figure out which one it is. Don't change any attributes unless you really know what you are doing. I normally would not recommend this tool, but you seem knowledgable.

One other thing to try is disk diagnostics. You can likely get these from your laptop support site. What is...
If it's booting, it's recognizing some disk. Do you have multiple drives? HDD or SDD? A data partition that is separate from the boot partition? You can investigate further by running diskpart in an administrative cmd window. USE THIS WITH GREAT CARE. You can figure it out using the built in help but it is very easy to DESTROY a partition. Be very careful with specifying which drive as it uses numbers. Once you select a drive, you can look at drive information and figure out which one it is. Don't change any attributes unless you really know what you are doing. I normally would not recommend this tool, but you seem knowledgable.

One other thing to try is disk diagnostics. You can likely get these from your laptop support site. What is your laptop model?

Solution