Hard drive upgrade for acer aspire one 532h

jchambers2586

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
is there a size limit of what hard drive I can use in the netbook. I want to put a 640 GB drive in it to It so I can copy my shows from my media center PC. Also can I go higher than 2 GB of ram. I installed windows 7 home premium 64 bit on it. It runs allot better with that than windows 7 starter. Also Is the cpu part of the board and cannot be removed. I would love to go to a 2 GHZ atom CPU.

Solution

Sorry for...
Going from a 1.66Ghz Atom to a 2.0Ghz Atom CPU would be such a minuscule performance upgrade it's just not worth the trouble/cost.
The upgrade to 2GB of RAM, on the other hard, might be a worthy upgrade and cost about $50-60. 4GB? Again, probably not enough of an increase in performance over 2GB, given that Atom single core CPU doesn't multi-task well, to make it worthwhile.
Any 2.5" 9.5mm thick laptop HDD drive should work OK. Just check that the power requirements are the same spec.
Note that the 532h has an available a free mini PCI-e slot which can be used for upgrading, perhaps a Broadcom Crystal HD Accelerator.

532h-bottom-600x401.jpg

Don't forget you need matching dual band routers where you use your netbook to take advantage of your dual band wireless N mini-card.

Sorry; putting an aftermarket dual band wireless N mini-card into a slooooow netbook is going to leave you with a slow netbook after the upgrade.

jchambers2586

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
This was a gift from my GF who know nothing about computers. is there a way to make this thing not slow. I am used to working and building desktop computers this in uncharted territory for me. I have been building desk tops for 15 years.

typezstg

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010

Sorry for bringing this back from the dead, but which would be a better upgrade: 2GB of RAM or the Broadcom Crystal HD Accelerator? I would like better video playback/less CPU usage on video conferencing calls such as Skype and Oovoo. It stutters and is at 100% CPU usage currently.

Running windows 7 professional (x86). Currently 1GB of RAM, which runs all I want to run fine right now.

Thanks for your help!

Solution