Hardware repair guide suggestion/comment thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
The main battery is usually simple: press a tab or two and slide or pop it out from the chassis: this is what powers your notebook when you are not using AC power.. . .

the cmos battery could either be a CR2032 or CR2025 tucked inside the chassis. This is what helps keep the CMOS holding the system BIOS settings charged. Removing a panel or the keyboard at the very least, if not the entire top chassis is required to get to this one.

cosmocashman

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
ok.... I have an issue with my monitor. Its extremely dim. How do I find out if its a bulb, inverter or the LCD? Correct me if im wrong but doesnt the LCD house the bulbs? Please and help, education, and feed back is greatly desired.

EDIT: it was the inverter. The screen was blank yet the power was on. It helped to determine the cause by shineing a flash light into the screen. I could see it so it wasnt the bulb.

I installed it... now im a pro;)

frozenlead

Distinguished
The LCD does house the backlight, you're correct.

LCD assembly troubleshooting is difficult because the LCD and inverter go together. The only real way to determine if one is bad is to replace one or the other. On rare occasions you'll get symptoms that tell you which is bad. You can test the inverter with a multimeter also, but depending on how the inverter is wired, this isn't always reliable as a test. If you can get your hands on a spare backlight (known to be good), you should be able to plug it into your inverter - if it lights up, the inverter is good. If not, the inverter is bad.

What do you mean by extremely dim?

dcbrixia

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
Hi all,

I have a Toshiba A015-S4094 with a SD/MemoryStick feature that has twisted connector pins. This is visible mounted on the front of the motherboard in the picture "The notebook comes apart like a clamshell". Is there a way either to disassemble the feature and straighten the pins or to replace it?

Thanks for any help here.

suvarna_rohit

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Hi frozenlead, thanks for the toshiba a100 disassembly guide. I own the exact same laptop. The problem is that there is no power comin in to the laptop from the adapter. So now am confused if its the adapter thats screwed or the laptop power jack? i checked the power supply cable n thts working. can u pls shed any light on this. thanks.

Rohit

gabrieltiron

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hy guys!

I have the same problem with the monitor of my toshiba A100-788. When I turn on the laptop for some seconds works normally but then becomes black and everything is in shadow. i can see what's on the desktop only if i put a strong light in front of my monitor. before that the monitor worked if i restarted suddenly the laptop but now doesn't work anymore. i replaced already the inverter but i have the same problem. I am a bit desperate because I need the documents on my laptop.

please help!

Thanks!

qawsed

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Hi, I had purchased a sony VAIO, Model #VGNNW23G/B about 4 months ago. I accidently spilled the orange juice on the key board, tried to clean it as much, a.s.a.p I could, but it did not work. I have one year full warranty on it so I sent it to sony, but they are asking a ridiculous amount of money to fix it, $475. I could not afford it, so they sent it back. I plugged it one day and to my surprise, window 7 opened up and I was able to go online but for a short time, windows get ajmmed after a while. Key board has got sort of corrupted and it does not work properly. Any suggestions to fix it? How can I change the key board? How does the keyboard come off? Any help will be appreciated.

tariq65

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
hi to all i have a problem with acer laptop aspire 3680 m/n ZRI do't power up
wehn i press the power button onlly few secend green light on and then of no start the laptop but charging is good ani body help me thanks.

TheGreatGrapeApe

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Plug the external video connector (VGA, DVI, SVideo, whatever) in and see what happens.

But if the HDD isn't spinning up, it's more than just a video issue, your mainboard could be fried, and if it's not sending out death knell beeps to let you know what's up, then it's going to need professional help or else the scrap heap.

Either way it's not going to be fixed remotely unless you get some deeper details and find someone who can communicate them in English.

foreone

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
hi,
i have a satellite a100-003 which has a broken graphics card. (geforce go 7600).

they want about 400$ just to repair the card here in turkiye. i wonder if i can replace the card with a recent and more powerful one. i use it as a desktop so i can cut the case to open room incase the new card is compatible but just don't fits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS