kfhandy

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
I have an HP nc6000 with a 1.7ghz Pentium M. The chipset is 855pm. I have found a Pentium M 2.5ghz pulled from an 852pm chipset. The 852 runs 533fsb when it is not on battery but 400 when on battery. the 855 runs 400 I believe at all times. The price and increase in fsb for the 2.5 is tempting and I would like to know if anyone can tell me if they are compatible? Even a link to a compatibility site would be appreciated. thanks Keith

Solution
What are the model numbers of the chips? I generally recommend saving up for a new laptop instead of replacing the CPU, as it is a PITA to do so. Plus, I don't think you'll see much of a performance increase by upgrading to the 2.5GHz chip.
What are the model numbers of the chips? I generally recommend saving up for a new laptop instead of replacing the CPU, as it is a PITA to do so. Plus, I don't think you'll see much of a performance increase by upgrading to the 2.5GHz chip.

Solution

kfhandy

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
I have been kind of a builder nut and I thought this laptop I have could use a good cleaning and maybe some fresh thermal paste on the CPU. Last one I did really needed the new paste. This laptop runs so well that I am gonna keep it for some time yet. I saw the CPU for cheap on Ebay and thought maybe an upgrade at the same time could be a good thing but I am thinking a DVD RW instead. Thanks for your interest Kevin, made rehash my thought process