has my laptop's heatsink worn-out?

nitins00649

Estimable
Jul 22, 2015
My computer shuts down when i enter in bios settings or do disk check.It reaches beyond 90 degree.

I replaced thermal paste, even the problem persists.After replacing thermal paste twice. i run IntelBurnTest on standard mode with 1024 MB ram configuration.Both core's temperature reached to 87 degrees.

Now i think, heatsink has worn-out,Color has become dark green at some places, It needs to be replaced.Please find image of heatsink here.http://postimg.org/image/3m8qjrcg3/

Please advise about my heatsink.
Thanks

Solution
While relatively rare, it is indeed possible for your heatsink to need replacing. But I'll be damned if I can tell how you'd know for sure. If an inexpensive replacement heatsink can be found, it might be worth taking the chance.

nitins00649

Estimable
Jul 22, 2015

System shuts down only when i go in bios settings.Otherwise it runs fine.Before buying new laptop, i want to try everything out.BTW laptop is 4 years old

mmaatt747

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
Did you try using canned air to blow dust out of the fins on the side of the laptop where the air from the fan exhausts out of the laptop? Just last night I did this to a laptop that was overheating and the CPU temps dropped by over 20 degrees.

nitins00649

Estimable
Jul 22, 2015

Yes.fan is working fine.

mmaatt747

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting that the fan wasn't working. It was working fine on my laptop as well. In fact I couldn't even SEE the dust in the fins (not fans) of the heatsink. But blowing air through the fins fixed the problem for me. If you have not tried that you should since its easy.

Good luck!

While relatively rare, it is indeed possible for your heatsink to need replacing. But I'll be damned if I can tell how you'd know for sure. If an inexpensive replacement heatsink can be found, it might be worth taking the chance.

Solution