Having a hard time powering on this laptop

mitk0o0o0

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2012
I've got an Acer Aspire laptop and it has been giving me problems lately. It will power on whenever it wants to and not from the first push of the button.

I push the button once, nothing happens. I push it again, nothing happens. I have to keep trying and trying until it eventually powers on. In most cases, it refuses to power on when the AC power adapter is plugged into it so it relies on battery. Once it powers on and I plug back the AC adapter, everything is fine and the battery is charging.

I've tried unplugging the adapter, taking off the battery and holding the power button for at least 10-30 seconds, I then inserted the battery but it still won't power on from the first push.

Is there anything else I could try?

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009

When you do the power flush/disperse sequence you're supposed to leave the battery out and just plug the AC adapter in at first, try this:

- Take battery out, disconnect AC adapter
- Press power button 10 times, on the 10th time hold it down for 30 seconds then let go
- Connect AC adapter to the laptop & a wall outlet (leave battery out), and try powering the laptop on

mitk0o0o0

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2012

Just followed your instructions but I still have the same problem. The light indicating that the power adapter is plugged in is not even on, but if the laptop eventually manages to power on the light turns on. Once booted into Windows, it also shows that the battery is charging, etc.

EDIT: Just repeated your instructions but this time I tried powering it on without the AC adapter connected but just with its battery and it started up from the first push. Gave it a second try and again, it managed to power on immediatelly. Now I'm gonna see if it will cause problems while the power adapter is plugged.

EDIT 2: It refuses to power on while the adapter is plugged. I then unplugged it and tried powering it on with just the battery inserted and again, it refuses. Guess I'll have to re-do all the steps mentioned above to get it to start again. Looks like the adapter could be the culprit?

EDIT 3: Now it won't power on from the first push again even though I performed the same steps again. This is so frustrating.