HDD vs SSD... for a writer...

sethmarie

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
I am a writer, looking to get a netbook. But before I do I wanted to find out which is better for the type of things I do. I surf the net and write scripts and novels. That being said, which is better a HDD or a SSD

sanjose28ca

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
I know you wanted a netbook, but for a writer the keyboard will be way too small. THis is what I suggest, get the Asus F6A-X2, it just got discontinued at best buy so the price is cut way way way way down to 594 bucks. Hurry, this laptop is sold out at almost every bust buy. I got one!
Its a 13.3 inch screen, with power settings set on low, runs 4 hrs on battery. core 2 duo 2 ghz, with 4mb of ram and dvd burner built in
its perfect for u

cheaptofix

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
yes hdd and ssd, i think you're looking at those webbooks. they're frigile and die quickly. hdd are the ones with a hard drive inside and ssd are the ones with a memory card but without a hard drive. i wouldn't trust a memory card to save important novels nor I'd trust a hard drive. but like san said the keyboard is way too small get a 15.4" laptop bigger screen..better keyboard. or 14.1" screen for mobility

frozenlead

Distinguished
You won't notice a difference between the two doing what you do. As always, though, you should back up your documents.

If you are writing a lot, though, a netbook will be really uncomfortable to write on.

4my8

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
For a writer you wont need a SSD. HHD will do just fine its cheaper too. Plus for typing netbooks are too small on both the eyes and keyboard. If you are looking for mobility i would recommend the Dell M133, its a 13" under 4lbs.

What i would do as a writer and web surfer is look for something with 15" screen and bigger thats has good battery life, as you wont need a powerful machine. check out Acer Aspire 6930 a 16" @ $800.