HDD's and Adobe Master Collection

G

Not sure if this is the the correct place for this topic, but I seem to find nowhere on the Internet relating to this...

I notice when defragging a lot of files like Photoshop.exe, etc. get placed into the "boot sector" of my hard drive. I see no point in this, as none of these programs are needed to boot.

So, seeing as it's about 5.9 Gigs on my drive; has anyone experienced with installation on a secondary hard drive? I only wonder this, because I know there is a 32 and a 64 bit Photoshop version both of which get properly placed in their corresponding "Program Files" folder... so, would there be a performance loss or would Photoshop and everything run just as usual not on the primary hard drive?

Sounds nooby of me to ask, but I don't want to un-install and re-install if there's going to be issues in performance or Adobe's unable to utilize drivers as it does so well already.

So, if there's no performance loss would it be easier to copy and paste the Adobe "Program Files" related folders and update registry values as needed? Even though that sounds like more work than necessary, haha.

PhilFrisbie

Distinguished

I have no idea what you are talking about. You must be using the term "boot sector" to mean something other than it's common meaning.

Please provide more details such as what version of Windows and what defrag program you are using.

G

Okay, "boot sector" is $BOOT, but the way I am using it is as in meaning the "frontmost" part of the hard drive.

PhilFrisbie

Distinguished
OK, generally hard drives can transfer data faster from the outer tracks. This is because tracks are labeled from 0 beginning on the outside edge, where there is more data per track, which allows the fastest transfer speed. The transfer speed drops as you get to the inner tracks.

If you are using a smart defrag utility, it will move exe files to the lower tracks where the program will load the fastest.

I(f you want programs to be installed on another drive, then select that option when you install them.

If you are concerned about performance you may want to consider installing a second hard drive as a place to save project files and video clips. I have Adobe CS6 Production Premium installed on my boot drive but keep all of the project files stored on separate hard drives.
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WSfd1234e1c4b69f30ea53e41001031ab64-748aa.html
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WSF08BCDDB-FCD7-40a2-8290-8872EE725E6B.html#WSCD697D8A-C3B2-4c6f-96CA-6CB6C897A819
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662972?tstart=0

G

Yeah, I have my drives partitioned and properly configured as far as my partitioning tables on each should be concerned. I was just unsure if that installing the whole collection would potentially perform lesser due to the whole not on the same drive as my os, drivers, etc.

Meaning absolutely no data gets added to the partition exclusively pertaining to the C: drive.

If you install it to a second drive, assuming both the OS drive and second drive are both mechanical drives, I don't believe you should see a loss of performance. I have installed other programs on a second drive and have not had any issues with performance.