HDMI Adapter Questions.

Jordan Bruce

Estimable
Jun 26, 2014
Hello, I'm considering purchasing a new TV for my family and myself but i have a few questions before I do. My first question is that if i purchase a DVI to HDMI adapter to play movies through a PCs Graphics card will i still receive the same quality HD as if i used a normal HDMI to HDMI port.

And my second question is would the audio "go through the HDMI cable" to the TV or will I need to find an alternative way to get the sound from the PC to play through the TV.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post :)

Solution
1. Yes dvi/hdmi no difference for 1080p

2. Audio won't go through DVI. You need to output audio via green speaker out (stereo) or optical port (5.1) on the back of the pc.

Eduello

Estimable
Mar 2, 2014
@i7Baby: While the DVI standard doesn't include audio support, it's very common that DVI ports actually include sound output so that they can pass sound through them if they're used with a DVI to HDMI adapter.

Eduello

Estimable
Mar 2, 2014

Not in the basic pinout, but when DVI is converted to HDMI, the DVI actually outputs a HDMI signal.
From the same Wikipedia page:

So, DVI-D devices output HDMI signals, many including audio, (examples: ATI 3000-series and NVIDIA GTX 200-series video cards),[9] and some multimedia displays input that HDMI signal, including audio, by using a DVI to HDMI adapter. Exact capabilities vary by video card specifications.