Meatex

Estimable
Jan 26, 2015
I am having a strange audio issue with my HDMI audio output since I did a format and clean install of Windows 10 - I did not have this issue with my upgraded windows 10 install

My issue is that HDMI audio output will bug out under certain circumstances and I will get no sound and anything that uses sound will go very very slowly. I can still see sound level bars going up and down but no sound comes through TV.
If I disable then re enable my tv as audio output device it goes back to working normally
This problem seems to occur 90% of the time if I turn my tv off and on again.
It also bugs out when I load CS:GO (however other games tested work fine) and sometimes sound will return to normal after quitting CS but sometimes I need to disable and re enable.
Sound works fine out of my laptop speakers if set to default device

I have tried removing the intel hdmi audio drivers (now running default microsoft drivers) but no help there.

Any ideas as I know its possible to get it working without problem?

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help in solving the issue.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the graphics driver.
- Check Programs and Features and uninstall anything related to your graphics card.
- Next is to download and install the latest driver from the manufacturers site.
- Reboot your laptop once the latest driver has been installed.
- After the reboot make sure to set your Playback Device as your TV.

Meatex

Estimable
Jan 26, 2015

Unfortunately no apparent change in behaviour following that process again
Tried uninstalling other audio devices including some virtual thing from nvidia and tested to no avail as well.
Found another game that the audio doesn't work in and triple checked that some games work fine and I cannot track down why

**UPDATE
Found that running CS:GO in fullscreen window mode will make audio properly play via HDMI
Some games however don't require this work around though (Witcher 3 and new Tomb Raider)