HDMI audio/video question

bulldogc

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
I currently have a cheap built in dvd receiver 5.1 system which for the most part works fine. I currently connect most external devices to the tv with HDMI and to the surround sound via toslink. When i got my new steam link hooked up I realized that my TV is too old to pass surround sound through the optical out port. Since the steam link is HDMI only I am unable to use surround sound with it because the dvd/receiver doesn't handle HDMI in. Since I have been considering upgrading my speaker system anyway I figured this would be a good excuse to do so. But that has left me with the following question. Will i need to upgrade the TV as well in order to get one that will pass 5.1. If I get a new receiver with some HDMI in ports to handle my various peripherals. I assume it will pass the video out through the HDMI out cable to the TV. Will it also internally separate the audio from the HDMI and play it or will it only pass the audio to the TV which will then pass back to the optical out which doesn't handle surround sound?

Just to expand a little as well, I was looking at going with one of the following systems incase it matters.

Yamaha YHT-3920UBL (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V9Z2WZG/ref=psdc_281056_t1_B00V9Z2X6O)
or
Energy5.1 Take Classic speaker with possible one of the following receivers(https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001202C44/ref=twister_B01M3PA3A8?_encoding=UTF8&th=1)
Yamaha RX-V379BL or Yamaha RX-V481BL

Solution

feelinfroggy777

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016
I am a little confused by your question.

The steam link does not have optical audio connection and neither does your TV. So you want to run the HDMI from the steam link into a receiver and then run HDMI from the receiver out to your TV while having audio come from your receiver? If so, I think it will depend on the receiver, but you should be able to find one that will just run video only.

bulldogc

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
Sorry if it wasn't clear, let me try and clarify. The link does not have optical, audio is only passed via HDMI. The TV has HDMI inputs and optical out. The problems is the optical out only passes stereo sound, not surround. I get around this with most devices by using the optical out on them to connect directly to the speaker optical in. Since the steam link does not have a separate audio output my only option currently with it is to connect the hdmi to the TV and rely on the TVs optical out to handle the sound which is stereo only. Since I was in the market for a new speaker system my plan was to get a receiver that can handle the HDMI input for all my devices and pass the video to the tv but keep the audio for itself. Because of the way HDMI tends to be locked in pretty tight my fear was that if I connected it this way the receiver would just act as a pass through for the HDMI cable to the TV and the audio would need to come from the TV, which would not be surround sound. What should I look for in a receiver that would work how I need it to?

If you are getting a proper home theater receiver you wont use your TV for audio at all.

You will just connect everything to the receiver.

You may possibly need a new DVD/Blu Ray player because it may not pass sound at all through HDMI only through its own speakers.

Now I dont suggest your home theater in a box setup.

I would get a Yamaha RX-381 or 481 (that is last years model) at the best price you can find. Often times you can get a sweet deal on the last year models getting a floor or open box model from your local electronics store. I got a previous gen 379 for $150 and a 673 for $350 (retail on that one is 600).

Energy Take Classic is a tried and true good speaker kit setup.
If needing to stretch your buck tighter to get a better receiver then checkout Monoprice Premium Speaker kit (around $200)

feelinfroggy777

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016

I understand what you are trying to do now. You can do it with your current system. All you need is a HDMI Audio Extractor. You would plug the Steam link HDMI in the audio extractor, then another HDMI out to the TV, and use the optical audio to your receiver. You will still keep the 5.1 surround. If you want to upgrade, you still can. Yamaha makes some very good receivers. I also like Onkyo.

Here is a link to the HDMI Audio Extractor.

https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Premium-Extractor-Converter/dp/B00BIQER0E

Solution