HDMI Control works on ARC but no audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaiyiwong

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017
Hi, I have a Yamaha RX-V779 and a LG OLED55B6P. I'm trying to get audio to play when I'm using the TV apps but haven't have any luck. My setup have been working for all my HDMI devices, so I'm trying to connect through ARC so that my TV apps will work as well.

I've made sure I'm connecting to ARC on both the TV and the receiver, setup on Yamaha to turn on HDMI Control, and also on LG to have simplink turn on as well. I've looked through a bunch of articles and it seems like I'm doing the right thing. My cable was new and I've been getting HDR and 4k on it as well, and I'm also able to control the volume through my TV controller, but there isn't any audio at all. I'm wondering if anyone has an idea what could go wrong?

Thanks!

CEC is completely separate from HDMI-ARC so how you set that doesn't matter in this case.
Are your HDMI devices connected directly to the receiver?
If so then try changing the audio output type in the TV menu or of the app itself in its' menu.
You can also try an optical cable instead of HDMI-ARC.
If not then try the audio settings of the app itself. Some TVs just won't output audio from the build in apps. If this is the case with your TV then using an external streamer should work fine.

kaiyiwong

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017

My HDMI devices are connected to receiver and those worked perfectly fine. The TV is new and it does support output audio from apps. I'd like to avoid optical cable route as I'm trying to make the process easier as it should be, however it hasn't seem to be working out so far =/

This2ShallPass

Honorable
May 16, 2013
It's just so frustrating to accept "may not work." My Yamaha receiver and my LG TV both have labeled HDMI ARC ports, and I've tried 3 different cables from 3 different brands. No audio. Boy that stinks...

ARC is not usually on by default in the TV. It has to be turned on and sometimes the TV speakers turned off.
There is an new version of ARC cabled eARC which is supposed to support lossless audio and Atmos as well as work more reliably. Not quite out yet. It's part of the new HDMI standard that is not yet set.

Status
Not open for further replies.