HDMI not working when laptop is on charger

alaamix

Prominent
Aug 12, 2017
HDMI not working when laptop is on charger
Hello, i'm facing a weird issue, my HDMI out put is not working when laptop charger is plugged in, it does work when the laptop is on battery but when i plug in charger it doesnt work anymore, just 2 weeks ago it was working fine but it was another cable and another tv, can anyone please help me

Solution
This started happening to me yesterday. I have an LG monitor at home which I plug into my laptop everytime, and it was working great until yesterday when I left and the laptop display went to sleep. When I got back, the external monitor doesn't want to turn on. I have tried different hdmi cables and monitors with no positive results. The monitor turns back on when the laptop is not charging tho, and it seems I can still use VGA while it's charging.

I have come to a light conclusion that it may have to do with my charger. I will check this with the store today and hopefully get this fixed soon.

To recap:

HDMI no output — Charging Yes
HDMI with output — Charging No
VGA with output — Charging Yes

kapsey

Prominent
Jul 15, 2017
Huh, that's kinda weird. Sounds like a fun issue to troubleshoot, haha.

First, I'd try the easy stuff. Try a different HDMI cable if you've got one, and if that doesn't fix the issue, try using a different TV. Sometimes, technology is stubborn and you've just gotta try to give it what it wants.

If neither of those options work, I'd try booting your PC into safe mode. If it's a conflict happening within your computer, that might eliminate it and help you figure out the root cause. Use this guide for Windows 8/10, and this one for Windows 7/Vista/XP.

Good luck!

alaamix

Prominent
Aug 12, 2017
Thanks for paying attention to my thread, well i dont have any other tv where i am at this moment, i have another short cable i tried that one, the tv screen shows something but then it flickers away, or when i play a video or something it all grey dots, and when i remove the charger cable and keep it on battery only it works fine just like the other cable, i tried safe mode and nothing happened, still having the same issue, i'm guessing there is either something wrong with my charger maybe its troubling the power distrubition when its plugged in and causing that issue, or maybe i just need to try another cable

crixxelven

Prominent
Sep 17, 2017
This started happening to me yesterday. I have an LG monitor at home which I plug into my laptop everytime, and it was working great until yesterday when I left and the laptop display went to sleep. When I got back, the external monitor doesn't want to turn on. I have tried different hdmi cables and monitors with no positive results. The monitor turns back on when the laptop is not charging tho, and it seems I can still use VGA while it's charging.

I have come to a light conclusion that it may have to do with my charger. I will check this with the store today and hopefully get this fixed soon.

To recap:

HDMI no output — Charging Yes
HDMI with output — Charging No
VGA with output — Charging Yes

Solution